ARAO 32 valve OHV heads

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently they've been around for 20+ years or something like that, but I'm just getting wind of them now. 4 valves per cylinder, pentroof combustion chambers is really all American small and big block ever really needed.

BB%2032v%20Offshore%20Head%2011.jpg

How cool is that? They seem to be really pandering to the S/BBC and LS Chev crowd... seeing as how they have no more of the SBF heads in stock. IF I could drop 7g's on heads alone, I'd LOVE to combine a set with this:
boss_351_block.jpg

20.gif

They are a very interesting head.

However, these are a set of ported BOSS 302 heads belonging to Jay Allen of Camshaft Innovations:

BigRedChambers.jpg

BigRedHeads.jpg

BigRedIntakePorts01.jpg

BigRedIntakePorts02.jpg

BigRedIntakePorts03.jpg

BigRedExhaustPorts01.jpg

These flow OVER 400CFM.

TEA has a number of SBF heads that flow at or over 400CFM.

1. Brodix Neal: 435/320
2. Edelbrock SC-1: 474/327
3. Edelbrock Victor: 398/294
4. TFS High Port: 390/285

There are a number of them already out there. Making these ARAO heads, that are $12,000, not to mention the supporting parts... Not as appealing as you'd think. The Brodix Neal heads are $6,000.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
They are a very interesting head.

However, these are a set of ported BOSS 302 heads belonging to Jay Allen of Camshaft Innovations:
These flow OVER 400CFM.

TEA has a number of SBF heads that flow at or over 400CFM.

1. Brodix Neal: 435/320
2. Edelbrock SC-1: 474/327
3. Edelbrock Victor: 398/294
4. TFS High Port: 390/285

There are a number of them already out there. Making these ARAO heads, that are $12,000, not to mention the supporting parts... Not as appealing as you'd think. The Brodix Neal heads are $6,000.

No question that decades of massaging have gone into the 2 valve heads, it really is amazing what can be done with 2V, but honestly, a 4V setup will always outperform a 2V setup, even with ragged ports! I just wish these ARAO guys didn't have a patent on bolt-on 4V heads. That's it, they're just bolt on. Stock pushrods fit in and manifolds bolt right up. The powerband is what's truly impressive: all else equal, the engine is making the same torque at 6000rpm, as it is at 4200rpm... with the peak occurring between 4500-5000, and with that = major HP. You also get significantly improved performance on a milder/stock cam.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
I'd like to see the topside of those 4 valve heads.
I wonder how they are articulated?

head-top.jpg

*image courtesy of LS1LT1.com
ARAO_LSx.jpg

2 valves per push rod. Cam loading not particularly affected, as the springs are much lighter because the valves are also lighter. 32 valve V8s sound just amazing!!

That's pretty slick (bolt-on 32V heads). I think half of the neat sound, though, of 32V V-8 engines is the overhead cam(s). With the cam still in the block here, I think some of the sound may still be muffled. I'd love to hear one. I'll bet it's wicked.

The 4.6L 16V Modular motor in our old '92 Crown Vic was a honey of an engine, and sounded really nice when it was revved. It was one of the better engines I've owned/driven.

Yep, a 400 cfm 4V head should blow away a 400 cfm 2V head, simply because of superior velocity characteristics and the resulting massive low and mid lift flow advantage. Like a dyno graph, peak numbers are good for bragging rights and that's about it, it's all about the average and that's where a properly designed 4V head will always have a major advantage.

I'm not familiar with any Arao setups though, and I never underestimate the ability of some people to screw up a good thing. Just by eyeballing, I'm not real impressed with what I see from Arao's intake ports.

For example (Ford GT/GT500 intake port):
portedGT1.jpg

These things with the proper port work and valve job will flow 400 cfm on a 3.552" bore!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back