Fuel Stabilizers - Stabil Alternatives

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a warm though so out comes the pressure washer, good coat of wax, some grease, etc.....

Time to put some toys away. Just throwing this out there but has what other fuel stabilizers have you used other than Stabil. I've never used anything else nor have I seen any *competitors* on the shelf next to it.

SeaFoam.

It didn't "not work"
lol.gif
I don't know how much it actually stabilized the fuel, but everything still works.

2-cycle oil generally has stabilizer, may be a good thing to put in for lubricity sake.

A bunch of TWC-3 Marine 2 cycle oils have fuel stabilizers in them. Along with most 2 cycle oils.

I have had some luck with MMO. However I'm not sure how much of it was "fuel stabilization", and how much of it was that the gas only sat for 3 months.

Sea Foam is the "Only" thing I found so far that works for long term storage, 6 months or more. I am currently trying Startron. It hasnt been long enough to tell if it works or not. I think Starron is more of a ethanol defeater than a stabilizer though. The red stabil has not worked for me, its good for about 2 months. I heard the blue/green stuff works better from friends, but at $20 a qt, Ill stick with Sea foam.

I don't normally keep gas in the tanks. It's just however low I run it down...

When I take them out from hibernation, I generally take the track rat 5 gallon containers, fill it up with fresh gas and then fill the toys up with some fresh gas to get it going.

So with that said, I don't have any real world experience with the product in a *true long term* sense...

I've been using a combo of Stabil and MMO for storing my power washer, mower, and snow blower. I store all my equipment with full tanks of gas and have been doing so for years. As long as the Stabil MMO mix is in the fuel and the engine has been fogged, things work well when I take them out of storage.

Anytime I stored a machine dry I had problems with it the following season. Typically the float would stick or hang up and cause problems. The Stabil MMO mix has been working well for me. If I had to store an engine for more than a year I would do it differently. JMO

Originally Posted By: chefwong
It's a warm though so out comes the pressure washer, good coat of wax, some grease, etc.....

Time to put some toys away. Just throwing this out there but has what other fuel stabilizers have you used other than Stabil. I've never used anything else nor have I seen any *competitors* on the shelf next to it.

The normal stabil sucks..Use the Marine.

Originally Posted By: snowmaker

I've used the regular Stabil for at least 15 years with ZERO problems.

I'm with Dermapaint above. I've had a few carb issues when storing dry. This Fall I went with non-ethanol gas with stabil & previous gas ups had some seafoam mixed in. The tanks were topped off & a few squirts of 'fogging' oil into the plug hole.

Of course you can all do as you like, and the "wet or dry" argument is like religion.

I have chosen dry, for a number of reasons:

- my power washer, and usually my mower, have a winter resting place in my basement. No gasoline is going into my basement.

- If I've read one, I've read dozens of posts in OPE forums from people who developed a float needle/seat problem during storage. One "store it wet" guy went into his shed to find the best part of a gallon of gasoline doused all over everything beside his snowblower. My in-season OPE lives in my attached garage, under a bedroom, with my car and other things in the same place. I don't need gasoline running all over without my knowledge (who does?). If there's no gas in the machine, it isn't possibly going to leak anywhere. If you have sheds, workshops and outbuildings maybe you don't care but I do.

I run stabilizer all year round in my OPE fuel. Sometimes the grass stops growing or snow starts falling and suddenly it's been weeks since you use something.

When storing dry I only ever had problems with my Tecumseh H80 on my 1986 Toro snowthrower. My Honda and Echo OPE carbs look like they're new from the box. The first year I replaced the original 1986 Tech carb. Even with Sta-bil the Tech w/ new carb still had problems the next year. With Amsoil AST - clean as a whistle. The Tech started in a half pull a few weeks ago, which shocked me given that it was out of its temperature tuning range (70F+ that day).

I realize that the HM80 carb is a sensitive piece of questionable quality. After tearing down the brand new one after storage I found soft white deposits. Without Sta-bil I've usually seen HARD white deposits. Sta-bil did something, but not enough for the Tech. AST has been great. I've also heard good things about PriG.

Last edited:
I have stored various outboards and motorcycles with wet carbs and red StaBil for 10-15 years and never had a problem. Also, I fill all tanks and use double the dose (per StaBil instructions) if it is going to sit more than a month. The marine (blue) StaBil is twice the strength, and maybe has some other stuff in it, probably justifying its cost.

Does the marine blue Stabil comes in a long neck bottle? This year, I am going to buy Stabil for its bottle :)

Originally Posted By: snowmaker

What makes the Marine better? Does anyone know what Stabil is and how it works?

I usually spray a little carb/throttle cleaner and/or Iso. alcohol in the gas and just start them every so often but this year I have so many machines that I could never start them all. And from what I read the ethanol in the fuel is causing problems too. I used to hear that Stabil stopped the "green slime" from forming but I found that when I did use it the slime formed and when I used nothing they stayed clean. My biggest concern is water in the tanks and float bowls, when possible I drain or remove the bowls, you would be surprised what you find in there and I started adding fuel filters to the units that had none. This year for the first time I'm using the regular and the small engine Stabil, we'll see what happens in the Spring.

Last edited:
Startron for ethanol based fuels. If you have access to 100% gasoline than Stabil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back