2004 Chevy 1500 5.3L Shell 10w30 5020 mi TBN 4.4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mostly city driving, no makeup oil, wix 51522 filter, aem dryflow air filter, Formula Shell 10w30. This is my 2nd OCI with Shell after running "old" havoline for 8 or so OCI's in a row. This stuff seems even better. And I picked it up cheap! Still have a nice stash of this in the garage. Blackstone was the lab. 90057 mi at this OCI of 5020mi.

Comments: Everything looks good in this most recent sample from this engine. Iron (steel parts) is continuing
to track at a very low level, and lead (bearings) has made yet another improvement. No signs of fuel or
coolant were present, and the viscosity was within the normal range for a 10W/30 oil. Air filtration looks good
at silicon, and the low insolubles indicate that the oil filter is working properly. The engine in your Chevy
pick-up is looking very good at 90,057 miles. The TBN was strong at 4.4, so lots of active additive was left.
1.0 is too low. Amended report w/ TBN.

Element this oci/UA

Code:

ALUMINUM 1/3

CHROMIUM 0/1

IRON 5/19

COPPER 18/31

LEAD 7/9

TIN 0/1

MOLYBDENUM 39/68

NICKEL 0/1

MANGANESE 0/2

SILVER 0/0

TITANIUM 0/0

POTASSIUM 0/3

BORON 79/51

SILICON 10/12

SODIUM 2/25

CALCIUM 1809/2228

MAGNESIUM 9/125

PHOSPHORUS 569/685

ZINC 684/842

BARIUM 0/0

sus210 59.3

cSt 100 vis 10.03

flash 425

fuel
atifrz/water 0/0

insol 0.3

TBN 4.4

I may have forgotten something. Just ask if you think of something. Comments?

Last edited by a moderator:
Still trying to read these uoas so bear with me. But are those zinc and phosphorus levels really low? Do they deplete with use?

Originally Posted By: finalyzd
Still trying to read these uoas so bear with me. But are those zinc and phosphorus levels really low? Do they deplete with use?
Not really. They plate on and sacrifice themselves off.

It's UOA's like this that make me wonder why I bother with synthetic oil, especially since I never run past 5,000 or 6,000 miles. Shell is really putting out some good products.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Brett Miller
It's UOA's like this that make me wonder why I bother with synthetic oil, especially since I never run past 5,000 or 6,000 miles. Shell is really putting out some good products.

You just opened Pandora's box... careful what you say around here
wink.gif

I agree 110%.

Very nice results. Excellent engine oil for the price it seems. Thanks for posting.

Last edited:
Great results. I put this into one of my vehicles and hope it does this well. I have enough for one more OCI. If you can get it less than 2.00 per quart then I see this as a good value.

They used to list the moly level @ about 250ppm. Perhaps since this was the first run of it the moly was depleted? Great stuff for the money. It'll do better than M1 5W30 at the same interval and cost much less.

Typical driving is city, out of 5000mi here only maybe 600mi is highway. The rest is around town - 7 mi to/from work one way - trips of various lengths to jobsites most days - 5 to 10 miles away is typical I would say.

It is because you really do not understand syn oils.

Originally Posted By: Steve S

Actually, I think it's because you don't understand conventional. That's why so many error on the side of what they feel is caution in their own mind by using synthetic when it is completely unwarented.

Last edited:
There are applications that can see a long-term benifit from synthetics. More and more daily drivers will require better base oils of at least grpIII quality as the top ring gets closer and closer to the combustion chamber. There have already been "issues" with rings sticking on some applications because of the heat the top ring is placing on the oil. Some LS engines come to mind. The synthetic vs. conventional thing is going to go away in the very near future. Just as some synthetics are not really "synthetic", there are also some conventional oils that are not really conventional. Some are just being marketed different.

Funny, I understand synthetic oils really well, and I thought the exact same thing as Brett. Care to explain what you mean?

Please explain Professor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back