New 2012 Focus Engine-- 160HP and 40 MPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
In a DSG box, everything is computer controlled.

You get paddles and/or a stick. That's it.

That's what I want. I guess I'll be a Ford man in a few years.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
Aluminum Pistons, who woulda thunk it.

Yeah.. I saw that too. Hardly Charles Kettering inventing the electric starter!

BTW, those trannys upshift well, but downshift like poo.
That is half of the shifting experience down the toilet!

And let's see 40 MPG on E85 out of it! I think we'll be waiting a long time.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2

BTW, those trannys upshift well, but downshift like poo.
That is half of the shifting experience down the toilet!

Are you referring to DSG?

Originally Posted By: Clarence_Iba
Will a manual be available in any trim other than S? I don't want to have to buy the economy edition to get a manual.

Nope, only on the S/SE (Sedan) and SE (HatchBack). There will be an SE Sport Package that will provide some higher end items. At intro, the only high end MTX Focus will be the ST.

If you guys were in Europe or Japan, you'd have had this engine available to buy for 2 years now
48.gif
... with autonomous idle engine stop and motorless restart
smile.gif

I wish we got the stop/start tech here. It's frankly annoying waiting engine idling at a 2 minute stoplight.

Originally Posted By: Nick R
The 2.0L has used a timing chain for YEARS. And I wonder now if my 2.0L is also made in dearborn. I was under the assumption it was from Mexico

2001 has a belt, and was assembled in US, and motor was american. Had a german transaxle though. The belt is a PITA to replace.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Whats so special about DI ?

High injection pressures and spraying directly into the combustion chamber means that the latent heat of evaporation can be used to cool the charge in the cylinder. This reduces the chance of detonation and knock and allows the manufacturer to use a higher static compression ratio which in turn increases the thermal efficiency of the combustion process. This is why diesels are considered so efficient because they can extract more torque from an equal amount of air/fuel (and burn it more efficiently) due to their high compression ratio. Other inherent benefits are more precise control of fuel vapourization, ignition event timing and rate ie. injecting many 'sprays' of fuel per injection cycle AT the time of combustion (near TDC, TDC and just after TDC if needed).

The ONLY downsides are fuel spray adhering to the cylinder wall, which may be skimmed over by the ring pack and see lubricating oil (dilution), intake port deposits from lack of port washing by fuel and slightly increased cost to implement. Progress is being made in all three areas though. Differently angled injectors and different pressures and injection cycles helps prevent fuel adhesion to the wall, better oils, ventilation systems and EGR methods are helping the port buildups and ... well more massive implementation of DI systems is driving component cost down.

Another benefit of DI is that, combined with precise engine control and ignition, the engine can be stopped and restarted completely by combustion without the use of motors or servos. This means restart times are reduced to a fraction of what's available now in hybrids etc. FWIW, it's really interesting how it works. The engine keeps track of the crank angle very intimately, and stops the engine so that pistons are all level, halfway down (or up) the bore. It uses the alternator as a loading device to get the engine to stop at exactly this position. Once restart is required, the DI system injects a small amount of fuel into a cylinder that was on it's way up, and ignites it causing a small combustion event pushing the engine backwards a few degrees. Right as this happens, another cylinder that was halfway down it's power stroke travels backwards, up to TDC building compression at which time DI injects fuel into that cylinder and preignites it driving that cylinder down the correct way and starting the engine. All of this happens within 0.35 seconds.
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
What you’re describing is Mazda’s start-stop technology. Great concept but I just wonder how it would work in winter. I think starters are not obsolete yet.

Yes, of course starters will always be there! The i-Stop tech is only active on a warmed engine.. and if it for some reason fails to start the engine, the starter motor is used.

Starters are certainly not obsolete. However, the point of that technology is that starters will only be needed for the initial start, not a warm restart after sitting for a few minutes.

Im really looking forward to this car, i have this and the kia forte sedan in sight as future new vehicle to own. All the other compact cars are kinda blah right now

I test drove a loaded SEL the other day. Quiet...very quiet. The 6 speed was much better than I anticipated, it was very smooth shifting and I did not encounter any lurching at slow speeds. The salesman was adamant that "this engine likes to REV" so we drove around at pretty high revs (foot to the pedal everywhere). LOL

The interior was great...seats were comfortable and the electronics were easy to use. I was having some issue finding the real time MPG...but nothing a quick look see with the manual could not cure.

The only disappointments were:

1)Start/Stop tech is not offered on the US models yet.
2)No one at Ford knows which models get the active grille shutters. The salesman was sure the SEL/Titanium have this option but the SEL I was driving did not.

I was sold after the test drive. Just waiting a year to see how the DI engines hold up. Ford believes they have the carbon build up issue solved...but time will tell.

Last edited:
Nice but Ford's engine aren't easy on the eyes to look at. Too many exposed wires around the valve cover, but still nice...

DI, I'll pass. Seems we don't have a choice, DI is the wave of the future. But I'll wait until they perfect them.

i want to know what this "overriding alternator decoupler" thing is. allows lower belt tension and vibration reduction. ??

M

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back