Follow Up After 900 Miles On My First Motorcycle

Status
Not open for further replies.
'07 Honda Shadow 600. Had 1502 miles on it when I bought it 3 wks ago. Finished the basic safety course about 5 weeks ago.

My biggest impression is that riding a bike is way more fun than I even thought it would be. There's a smile on my face every time I walk out into my garage and get ready to ride.

Installed a Memphis Fats 17" windshield on Friday. To me, interstate riding was cruel and unusual punishment without it. Made a huge difference.

High mileage so far 68-on a highway trip. No discernible oil usage. Have tightened and lubed chain.

Wet roads have been no problem so far. Rode through a few small showers, so I don't know what to expect with a real rain. 42 degree morning no problem with proper gear.

It was a huge jump going from 20 mph in a parking lot in the safety course to driving the bike home on the interstate. More than a little intimidating. Much better now.

I'm a lot more alert and better rider than I am a driver. With the visibility on the bike, I can see a lot of situations before they happen. Thanks to the safety course for showing me what to look for.

Glad I didn't get a smaller bike, weight wise.

Cool. I remember my first ride on a new gsxr600. Very intimidating but smiling from ear to ear. Be safe out there.

banana2.gif
Very cool! It sounds like you're off to a great start. I have been riding for 41 of my 46 years and love it! Currently without a bike but I have access to a Valkerie which I enjoy a great deal.

2 unsolicited pieces of advice (sorry, can't help myself):
- Practice braking regularly! Pretend panic stop to include minor course adjustments whenever the conditions are good/safe. Never forget how much the front brake does for you. It provides the vast majority of your stopping power, practice using it and get comfortable with it.
- During the day use the high-beam. The reflector angle is such that it'll catch the eye of the guy about to pull out in front of you, I promise. Now the bashers will all start about being annoyed or whatever. They're riding with 3k lbs of vehicle and six airbags, screw'em. There's no safety issue about "blinding" someone during the day. Annoying someone? Possibly but like I said, so what. Understand that I am suggesting high-beam during the day only. At the onset of dusk return to normal headlight ops (low-beam/high-beam as appropriate).

Sorry to lecture I just want you to enjoy riding as much as I do and not have any issues
grin.gif

I totally agree with you on the windscreen thing too! The highway on a naked bike is brutal!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: H25B
I totally agree with you on the windscreen thing too! The highway on a naked bike is brutal!

My previous bike had a windscreen. Then I bought my current bike without it and I rode it back home 100+ miles on the hwy. Wasn't bad at all. With that said, I will most likely get a windscreen for it, if I can find one that I like. It's easier to clean bugs off the windshield than off your clothing.

Even though it sounds like you are taking the necessary steps to be a safe motorcyclist, ensure that you have adequate coverage of short-term and long-term disability insurance. I work in an ER and see all too often the results of motorcycle accidents...regardless of who was at fault. Pavement is very unforgiving! Be safe out there
smile.gif
! Just my
49.gif

"To me, interstate riding was cruel and unusual punishment without it."

With or without a full face helmet?

I've put many thousands of miles on my KLR650 and other bikes without windshields and comfort's never been an issue even in fairly cold conditions. Proper gear helps.

My Valkyrie has a windshield the size of a barn door. I can get away with using an open face helmet on that bike.

I like the idea of high beams during the day, especially in the city.

Congratulations on your new ride. You will have countless hours of riding fun.

I bought my first bike in 1971 and have owned 50-some-odd bikes since then. We typically make 30,000+ miles each year with the wife as a passenger 80% of the time. Yes, we both still work.

Get yourself a shop manual for your bike and learn what makes it tick. Try to do as much work yourself and you will appreciate your bike even more.

Have fun out there - and be safe !

I'm glad to see you starting with a very reasonably sized first bike and I'm glad you're enjoying it.

I rode for 17 years and a little over 250K miles on 9 bikes, then no bike for 25 years - until last week. I just got a Kawasaki Mean Streak (1500 V twin) and like you, I have a grin on face every time I go out. My very first bike was a 1960-something Benelli 125 and I had an ear to ear grin every time I rode that too.

All the other replies in this thread have good advice.

Good first bike...not so small you will tire of it quickly and not so powerful that if you have a brain [censored] you'll do a wheelie and flip it

I've been through the following after my MSF class

2006 Kawasaki Ninja 250
2005 Honda CBR F4i 600
2007 Honda 1300R VTX

And now just waiting on delivery on a 2011 Harley Davidson Road King
smile.gif
And yes the smiles keep on coming

Goose

+1 on loving the visibility. Wait till you ride a country road at night with the high beam on, no cars, no lights, stars or moon overhead.

A little over two years doing this and I still smirk at my ratty Virago cruiser.

MrCritical, if I may offer a few tips:

ATGATT---wear All The Gear All The Time. Very sturdy high boots. Motorcycle pants with armor in the knees and hips. Motorcycle jacket with armor in the elbows, shoulders, and spine. Motorcycle gloves with knuckle protectors. Full face helmet. There is some good mesh gear for your hot climate (and some cheap mesh gear that isn't good for much). Don't think you need ATGATT? Read this every week or so.

READ---David L. Hough's More Proficient Motorcycling: Mastering the Ride, Lee Parks' Total Control: High Performance Street Riding Techniques, Keith Code's A Twist of the Wrist 2: The Basics of High-Performance Motorcycle Riding.

Next year take another class at a higher level. Understand that the MSF novice course is designed to skip many important things in order to save time and to get future motorcycle buyers on the road.

Parking lot practice makes you a better slow speed and high speed rider. Practice the exercises you did in the class and invent some of your own.

Ride and enjoy.

Thanks Ken2!

I have the cold weather gear, can you recommend some good mesh? Here, I'll probably have to wear the mesh March-October.

The basic safety course here was classroom Friday nite 6-9pm, Sat 7am-1pm on bike, 1:30-5pm class, and Sunday 7am-1pm on bike.

I've heard the advanced course is a one day course but you have to bring your own bike, with a lot of the same stuff as the basic, plus a few twists. Had great instructors.

Thanks for all the help!

Originally Posted By: MrCritical
I have the cold weather gear, can you recommend some good mesh? Here, I'll probably have to wear the mesh March-October.

Look through here, great prices (especially closeouts) and customer service: http://www.newenough.com

You're better off going with a fully perforated leather gear than mesh which will provide better protection if you fall. I use mine all year long because it came with a removable wind breaker type liner. I bought it from www.motorcyclecloseouts.com

Last edited:
Earplugs +1.
Advanced safety course in the spring as a refresher and tune up to add what you have already learned.
Olympia mesh jackets are excellent quality, reasonably priced and made by bikers for bikers. I love mine, and am able to be pretty comfy down to 40 degrees with a long sleeve T under it.
And always, always (did I mention ALWAYS?) wear your gear, even if it's for a 1 mile jaunt to get a Big Gulp. Jacket, gloves, boots, helmet. Look where you want to be. If you are looking down, that's where you'll go. Scanning ahead with your eyes up gives you that extra second to react.

Originally Posted By: CBR.worm
I wish I had known earlier how important ear plugs are. Live and learn...

Ouch. So true.

I remember in my younger days racing flat track 1/4 mile and 1/2 mile with an upswept megaphone that resonated fiercely in my full face helmet!

Huh? Say what?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back