Formula 1 ~ Korean Grand Prix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's an observation for you, anyone that's interested!

Today Korea hosted the Formula 1 Grand Prix for the first time. The tarmac at the circuit was laid literally DAYS ago creating an oily oozing which had nowhere to drain away. The condition of the circuit was a disgrace.

I am interested that Bernie Ecclestone continuously threatens to withdraw the British round of the F1 racing championship ... but on what grounds? The circuit at Silverstone is, and has been, a very well respected venue for decades. Unlike Korea, there have never been any technical hitches or poor management.

I'm just observing that there appears to be a difference in standards and I'd love the know what the motivation is to favour one circuit and organisation over another!

Last edited:
Tobacco advertising... Allowed in all the new countries that F1 is adding racing, not allowed in all the places they talk about leaving.

As for the race, it was pretty interesting once they got going. It would've been a good fight if the red bull didn't leave its engine spread down the track. That was quite a display of parts exiting through the oil pan.

Pablo ~ it was being discussed during the race and the observations were coming from Dave Hobbs and Bob Varsha. Not surprising the official F1 site won't be showing bad pics! It's commonly known that freshly laid tarmac exudes the carrier oil and that's why the track was so slippy, because the rain was floating on top of the oily surface. Did you see the race? If you did, you'd know what I was referring to.

Yes that's it! Made for fun watching, but not terribly constructive in terms of the outcome of the championship!

Thought this was a very enjoyable race to watch. These teams knew the conditions would be hit and miss. I love watching F1 races in the rain. It lets the truly talented drivers rise to the top. My main concern was the setup getting into pit lane. Of course I am a Ferrari fan. At first I did not think Fernando Alonzo would be able to carry the Ferrari flag, but now I am impressed, he just never gives up. He is a true driver and money seems to be a secondary concern for him. Ferrari FTW

Racing in the rain is definitely interesting. The race itself, though, was a testament to the drivers. When they restarted, I was a little worried for the drivers. With that lack of visibility, I thought, there was for sure going to be a serious collision. What did happen, fortunately, were rather minor things in the grand scheme.

They made the best of the conditions they had, and no one got carried away in an ambulance, or worse.

Originally Posted By: Whitewolf
Not surprising the official F1 site won't be showing bad pics!

That was my exact point.
48.gif

Originally Posted By: Pablo

That was my exact point.
48.gif

Yes, there's a shock! They wouldn't want to admit that they'd screwed up!

Originally Posted By: Pablo

That was my exact point.
48.gif

Yes, there's a shock! They wouldn't want to admit that they'd screwed up!

The last newly paved race track I drove on sat "fallow" for six months after it was paved before the first time it was used. Not only do you have to allow the oil to rise and wash off, the pavement itself continues to harden and gain strength.

I didn't watch the Korea race, so I don't know about the conditions for the practices and qualifying, but new pavement is very much at risk for simply pulling up and flying around as the cars run over it. Chunks can lift out of well-seasoned pavement and create holes when high-aero cars are running.

Racetrack pavement is a totally different animal than any regular road pavement I've ever seen. It's made with pea-gravel and it's very smooth overall but very coarse in surface texture. And it's rolled really, really flat.

Last edited:
I am interested that Bernie Ecclestone continuously threatens to withdraw the British round of the F1 racing championship ... but on what grounds?

The BRDA is not willing to pay BE as much as the other race tracks are willing to pay BE. So, consider yourself as BE for a minute. The BRDA offers $50M for the race and the new track in the land of oil offers $100M. Now keep in mind BE gets to keep a fair share of the loot: which one do you think Bernie would choose?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back