Does Tire Shine Speed Up Dry Rot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
yes..test it yourself.
add tire shine to the rear tires and leave fronts alone.
I notice dry rot quicker on the shined tires.

I also noticed the tires would turn a brown color after using Armor All. Thats on top of the dry rotting.

I like the Stoners More Shine. I havn't noticed any browning or dry rotting. Good durability also. Doesn't fling the dressing either. Soaks right into the tire like it should.

Duragloss makes a silicone free dressing also. Buts it more expensive. Around $8 while the Stoners is around $4.5. Michelin even makes their own tire shine. It even mentions how other protectants can cause problems like the ones mentioned in this thread.

Originally Posted By: Jim_Truett
Due to ozone damage and drying/hardening/cracking of the rubber I would not trust my life to 15 year old tires at freeway speeds. To the best of my knowledge the NHTSA does not list a maximum age for tires, but I believe industry recommended maximum tire age is around 6 years.

Tire Rack link, one of many

Agreed, 15 years is way too long to be running a tire. Industry consensus seems to be up to 6 years for extreme weather, and possibly as long as 10 years under the absolute ideal conditions for tire rubber, measured from the date of manufacture, not the date put into service. I personally would not go longer than about 8 years, and only if visual inspections show no obvious signs of deterioration. For a low speed city only vehicle that would never see a freeway, I'm sure in many cases you could get away with 10 years at best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back