Selecting a new Master Cylinder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mine is a 4 to 5 year old reman from Pep BOys. I cannot remember exactly.

It is Leaking where it attaches to the booster.

I am not looking to save money this time. I want the best new Master Cylinder I can find. Not remanufactured. Remans are not really cheaper and I don't want to have to deal with a core charge. I realize they MIGHT be just as good as new.

I have found the following choices in my application.
Cardone select.
Centric
Raybestos
Wagner
Dorman
Bendix
Brake Best Hardware
Fenco
Kelsey-Hayes
Napa(which I think is made by Dorman for my model)

Prices range from 13$ to 46$

Is it safe to assume that since they all have a 1 1/8 bore, the new performance will be equal and the differences will be longevity?

Because My brakes stink, and the only thing that has made any improvement is more aggressive front pads anf that was not much. Everything else has been replaced and made no difference. This will be my 4th MC on this vehicle in 9 years.

Any recommendations on brands to buy, ones to avoid?

Thanks

I looked into OEM. The local Dodge dealer wanter $220. Mopar Parts america wants $140.

Without any guarantees that these are significantly better, I cannot afford them.

Also it appears 1989 was the last year they used this specific MC in any Dodge. I Don't know I'f I'd want a part that might have been sitting on a shelf for 21 years.

Last edited:
Cardone makes both new and remanufactured products.The "Cardone Select" brand is a new part,not a reman.

New

I am aware Cardone Select is a new part, that's why it is on the list. Is that brand your recommendation?

I have to add Coni-Seal and AC Delco to the list of available brands. Coni seal lists an aluminum Cylinder as well, but I cannot find a retailer of the aluminum one.

In the Pictures Raybestos provides, It says 'Made in USA' cast into the iron body, but who knows if that is still the case.

I have found significant differences in the photos Napa Ultra premium brakes versus Dorman.

I do not know who makes Napa's Master cylinders for my application, but I had a hard time believing Dorman was the Manufacturer.

I dont really want to "recommend" a part because you never know what might happen.On the other hand,I would think that Cardone is as good a part as any of the rest and may be a better price for a product that is most likely equal to if not better than the others listed.I have a Dodge truck and the replacement Cardone from Advance Auto would have a life time warranty,that could help you a lot if something did happen.

If it were me,I would probably go with the Cardone.A master cylinder should be something that should last for some time.Cardone is an American company,I dont know where the parts are actually made but it is an American company.

Also,that many cylinders in 9 years seems a little much,what kind of brake fluid are you useing? It should be a DOT 3 or 4.If you have mixed silicone in with DOT 3 or 4,this could cause a problem.If you have mixed brake fluids,you will need to change the fluid,mixing regular fluid with silicone can cause corrosion.

Do you have to use the same master cylinder? Just get a newer one that fits? I'm no brake guru but the performance neons got bigger diameter MC's as well.

Thanks for the replies.

The MC which came with the Van lasted 4 years. When It failed I was in a remote area of the Pacific NW. I managed to get one from a junked dodge that was barely recognizable as a dodge Van it was so rusted out.

I preemptively replaced that one 2 years later with the current one.
I have replaced the rear flexible hose, and then the whole rear axle after that. I always bled the brakes with the recommended dot 3, and the last time even used Valvoline synthetic.

I have to conclude it ls leaking because it was a poor reman job. There are only about 25k miles on it, and I'm a brake early and lightly type of driver.

There is no MC upgrade I am aware of. There is a hydroboost replacement with a bigger bore, but that is not an option for me, and would require more pedal effort.

The price is certainly right with Cardone. I've heard good things about Centric but they are saying one of the brake line fittings has a different pitch thread than every other model.

Check out Rockauto and see if their price is good.
I bought a wheel cylinder from Advance Auto Parts....and it had Raybestos #, Bendix # and some other number........was made in China.
So....if I had asked for any of the 3 manufacturers, I would have been handed the SAME part.
I suspect that this is the case for a number of other parts as well, and varies with specific application.

I have not replaced a master cylinder, but my gut feel is toward the Cardone Select.

I greatly improved the braking performance on my '96 windstar by replacing the front flexible hoses that connect to the calipers.
If you are having issues, you might look into that, the hoses were not expensive at all and (at least on my windstar) were very easy to replace.
I could not believe the improvement that made.
I bought Raybestos through Rockauto.

I am definitely replacing the front Hydraulic hoses with Raybestos. I do not remember replacing them when I did my calipers 5 years ago, and for all I know they are original and 22 years old. There are no signs of external wear, but I understand that is no Indicator of the internal condition. One of the calipers did fall off the hook and hang by the flexible line when I rebuilt my front suspension, so they were on the list no matter what.

That seems to be 2 votes for Cardone Select, and one on another forum I visit.

Rock Auto wants just under 26 dollars for it, but for whatever reason the shipping is higher on that part. The Raybestos MC and brake lines combined are 33% cheaper to mail than just the Cardone MC.

Thanks again for the input. I will be placing my order Monday, so still have a day or so to finalize my brand decision.

For what it's worth, I just replaced a master cyl and booster on a friends Chevy Equinox. I used a Cardone reman from O'Rielly Auto and it was a nice product.

All right 3 hits for Cardone on this site, 2 on another with one vote for Bendix, one for Wagner on the other sites.

None of the Local AP stores carry the Select, and as usual, even with shipping, R/A is less expensive. Also found some wholesaler closeout prices for Bendix Hydraulic hoses.

I kind of like that the Cardone Select comes a white/ clear plastic reservoir. Visibly seeing low fluid is a good thing, rather than having to open the caps and look inside, possibly introducing moisture and contaminates.

As an Update:
I ordered the Wagner MC from Amazon. Mostly for price, but the Wagner is also proclaimed to be Made in the USA.

It arrived within the week, free supersaver shipping.

It was poorly packed. No padding, it was just rattling around loose within 2 cardboard boxes.

It too came with a White translucent plastic reservoir.

This morning I determined this Reservoir was leaking, and replaced the reservoir with my old one.

Anger. I do not know whether to direct it at Amazon for sending it so poorly packed, or Wagner for poor workmanship, or myself for trying to get a good product and a good deal yet causing myself aggravation by wasting time, effort and brake fluid on a new faulty product.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back