Honda brake fluid in my Hyundai

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would this be ok? I am getting my brakes done tomorrow. I work at a Honda dealership so I can get cheap labor on my car.

I am thinking of having the guy drain and fill my brakes with the Honda dot3 fluid.
Or should I have him do the BG flush. I think they use a different dot4 fluid with the flush.

Whats the recommendation? Bring my own fluid or am I going to do something bad.

For your 2002 Hyundai Sonata LX, DOT 3 or DOT 4 Brake Fluid will work effortlessly in your brake system according to the Hyundai Owner Manual. I visit my local Hyundai dealer from time to time and the service manager show me all the fluids used for Hyundai vehicles. DOT 3 or DOT 4 is used in all Hyundai vehicles today.

Originally Posted By: BigBuck
Would this be ok? I am getting my brakes done tomorrow. I work at a Honda dealership so I can get cheap labor on my car.

I am thinking of having the guy drain and fill my brakes with the Honda dot3 fluid.
Or should I have him do the BG flush. I think they use a different dot4 fluid with the flush.

Whats the recommendation? Bring my own fluid or am I going to do something bad.

You mean drain and fill the brake reservoir ? Not good

Or you mean drain the bleeder screws and fill the reservoir ? Yes

Any DOT 3 or 4 will do in your Hyundai brake system.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
There is no such thing as "Honda brake fluid", so as long as it is marked DOT3 or 4 you're OK.

Actually, there is....

Honda is really in love with proprietary fluids.

DOT 3 is not a proprietary fluid. I understand if you're talking about an ATF fluid or a power steering fluid or coolant, these have specific manufacturer specs, that if not met can damage internal systems.

Can you give a specific Honda spec that "their" brake fluid meets, or any aftermarket one has to meet in order to be safely used in a Honda, other than DOT3-4?

If it says DOT 3 or 4, it has to meet those specs.
In this instance [brake fluid], Honda's variety should be completely compatible.

A simply suck and fill of the reservoir is NOT valueless.
But a real bleeding is of course better.

Toyota is currently recalling vehicles for problems that supposedly occur due to using non-Toyota brake fluid, maybe there is something to these proprietary fluids after all?

Last edited:
Toyota got caught for "failure engineering". We guarantee that if you don't use our OE fluid, your will fail.

From what I remember, all brake fluid has an additive package to prevent rust, to condition/lube the seals.....Talk about a bogus scapegoat. I bet most of these vehicles were still on their factory fill!!!

http://pressroom.toyota.com/pr/tms/toyota/customer-faqs-for-brake-master-177142.aspx

As part of the recall, Toyota and Lexus dealers will replace the brake master cylinder cup with a newly designed one at no charge to the vehicle owners.

So, I guess that the new master cylinder has a 'compatible seal'. Lowest bid cup didn't quite work right the 1st time
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back