Hydraulic lifters -- viscosity extra-important?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep. adjustments are easy, at least on the 4cyl. But according to my honda maintenance schedule, first valve clearance inspection is at 105,000 miles IIRC.

Hydraulic lifters Vs: Viscosity.

Consider this:

How thick is 5W30 at 0 F? A hydraulic lifter has to work under those conditions. 5w30 at 230 F? A hydraulic lifter has to work under that condition, and worse for that matter.
My opinion is that a properly functioning hydraulic lifter is relatively insensitive to viscosity.

Rickey.

Originally Posted By: Rickey
Hydraulic lifters Vs: Viscosity.

Consider this:

How thick is 5W30 at 0 F? A hydraulic lifter has to work under those conditions. 5w30 at 230 F? A hydraulic lifter has to work under that condition, and worse for that matter.
My opinion is that a properly functioning hydraulic lifter is relatively insensitive to viscosity.

+1

Higher viscosity oils require more energy to entrain air but take more time to release it. A lower viscosity oil will typically entrain oil more easily but also release it more readily. Some oils tend to aerate more easily depending on the oil's anti-foam qualities.
Different engines, different hydraulic lifter designs

Rickey.

Sorry didn't finish my post, to continue:

Different engines, different hydraulic lifter designs and adjustment, can also affect hydraulic lifter bleed down, so numerous factors come into play.

If one is experiencing noisy lifters, try a higher quality oil with known high anti-foam qualities. In my experience, I have found GC 0W-30 and Toyota (Nippon Oil-Eneos) 0W-20 to have exceptional anti-foam qualities.

I agree, oil aeration can be an overlooked factor in the valvetrain, which can froth the oil like a kitchen mixer. Not that other factors can't contribute to aeration: low oil level (air sucked into oil pump), high oil level (crankshaft), high oil pressure, low sump capacity, bad oil pan design, high engine rpm, combustion gases, oil particles, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back