Hydrostatic Transmission Fluid

I don't have a Craftsman DYT 4000 but i do have a honda lawnmower with a hydrostatic trans that honda says it not serviceable. Their should be a thread in here on me servicing it.
In my research and experience with that hydrostatic drive, just about any hydrostatic drive will work with any type of oil. The most important thing is to have no air in the system and not have any air get drawn into the pump. That will cause loss of power and also the oil to heat up.
The reason why tuff-torq recommends 5w-50 is because a hydrostatic trans is a hydraulic unit, and "optimal" viscosity is 20-25 cSt at operating temperature for any type of hydraulic unit. Lower than that and you run the risk of wear, higher reduces efficiency and increases power loss. A 50w oil is rated to be 20-25 cSt at 100C operating temp, so a 5w-50 is about the best choice and will cover the unit if operated under a heavily loaded condition in high summer heat. the 5w-50 as opposed to 20w-50 just increases effiency because the viscosity will be lower under lower temps. It comes down to whether you know the operating temp the oil will see, if it's not going to get over 150-180F or the thing is used in winter then a 30 weight (0w-30) oil would be a better choice. ATF is also a very good choice and is what I use mower hydrost. drive and has been great. I think ATF would be a better choice as long as you know the fluid temp won't be getting over 80-90C, it would result in the highest pump efficiency and least pumping loss.
A hydrostatic drive has no gears, so it would not need a GL-5 rated gear oil, any oil would work and protect fine.
It would be more important for you to maintain the hydro trans with clean fluid than whether you choose engine oil over atf, 0w-30 vs 20w-50 vs 5w-50. A synthetic engine oil would generally be more efficient and a better choice than conventional oil because syn oil viscosity is lower at ambient temps.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 1 FMF

A hydrostatic drive has no gears, so it would not need a GL-5 rated gear oil, any oil would work and protect fine.
It would be more important for you to maintain the hydro trans with clean fluid than whether you choose engine oil over atf, 0w-30 vs 20w-50 vs 5w-50. A synthetic engine oil would generally be more efficient and a better choice than conventional oil because syn oil viscosity is lower at ambient temps.

Integrated hydrostatic drive systems, which nearly all of them are (in the OPE realm), indeed have gearing to contend with. The oil that allows the hydrostatic unit to operate is shared by the axle gearing. Most of the specs I've seen on ATFs indicate that they tend to be of the 20wt variety. I'm with you though. As long as you have clean oil in there and it's NOT gear oil, these babies will work fine. For years Tufftorq spec'd 10w30 on their smaller integrated drives. Maybe they've changed that now, which I think is a good idea given most don't hold but a quart or two of oil, so it gets HOT fast.

Joel

Last edited:
sorry, i meant to say a hypoid gear which would need a GL-5 lube.
My experience with hydrostatic trans. is very limited but all of what i've seen are spur or helical gearsets in them, which do not require any special (EP) type of lube.

That's a fact 1 F. I've seen where people put gear oil in their hydrostats. You wanna talk about a moaning, groaning, angry hydro! You've probably read up on this, but lots of OEM's are recommending their own branded hydrostatic drive oil at ridiculous cost to the owners. "Cub Cadet Drive System Fluid Plus" is one of them. It's ~$9/qt and nothing more than a synthetic blend HDEO in the 40wt range.

Joel

Originally Posted By: JTK
T You wanna talk about a moaning, groaning, angry hydro!

Hmmm, that sounds like my Eaton hydro with the correct fluid in it!

Resurrecting an old thread.

I have Tuff Torq K46 that doesn't have any problems yet. But it's in 2011-2013 year model of craftsman mower that I purchased last year. I was wondering if I should change the fluid in it since it's 9-7 years old. More for preventable maintenance kind.

Last edited:
I bought a used T3000 craftsman with the k46. Csnt remember the hours but I am starting season 4 on some shell made Motomaster 5w50 in the case. Works great. I tore the case open and cleaned some extremely full magnets. I am contemplating a fluid change and tear it open one more time.

Originally Posted by 1 FMF
I don't have a Craftsman DYT 4000 but i do have a honda lawnmower with a hydrostatic trans that honda says it not serviceable. Their should be a thread in here on me servicing it..

Which model do you have?

Thanks

UD

Back