CataClean

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Quest
never heard of that and frankly don't give a dime about it.

This is quite possibly the most useful and interesting post on BITOG.

Originally Posted By: tinmanSC

This is quite possibly the most useful and interesting post on BITOG.

Last edited:
I have never heard about Cataclean.

A mechanic friend likes to use a product by CRC called "Guaranteed To Pass." He says it helps to get a car to pass the (California) smog test that is just a little over the limits. He claims it cleans the catalytic converters. I thing he can tell by the difference in voltage between the front and rear O2 sensors on the cat.

This is what they claim. (sounds like it might be worth trying as just a combustion chamber or engine cleaner):
Quote:

Product Description Open
Pass your emissions test or CRC will double your money back! Powerful detergent additives super-clean the entire fuel system reducing emissions and improving performance. Use every 3,000 miles to improve fuel economy, acceleration and reduce emissions

CRC Product website
http://www.crcindustries.com/auto/content/prod_detail.aspx?PN=05063-6&S=N

MSDS shows 25-35% PEA
http://www.crcindustries.com/faxdocs/msds/5063.pdf

Amazon sells it for $10.76
http://www.amazon.com/CRC-05063-Guaranteed-Emissions-Formula/dp/B000CIPUR8

05063.jpg

Last edited:
RE: cataclean

I have read a lot on it (even the patent!) but I have not been able to get any personal testimonials on it. I thought I had a "live" one in another conference but he did not go for it, instead he actually put his money on a new converter. How dare :)

You know how much noise I make when P0420 is brought up. I have tried my best for *somebody else* to gamble their $24 on this snake oil but so far not a single person has taken my advice :-(

If you have persistent P0420 and if you have decided to bite the bullet and buy a new converter, you should gamble $25 on this miracle in the bottle.

Now that I read about G2P, I would much rather use that product. It is made by CRC which is highly reputed company. Also Amazon reviews of G2P are better than Cataclean.

But PLEASE, if you use either product, please please, come back and tell us. Many people here ask advice and then never come back to provide a closure.

- Vikas

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Loobed
I have never heard about Cataclean.

A mechanic friend likes to use a product by CRC called "Guaranteed To Pass." He says it helps to get a car to pass the (California) smog test that is just a little over the limits. He claims it cleans the catalytic converters. I thing he can tell by the difference in voltage between the front and rear O2 sensors on the cat.

This is what they claim. (sounds like it might be worth trying as just a combustion chamber or engine cleaner):
Quote:

Product Description Open
Pass your emissions test or CRC will double your money back! Powerful detergent additives super-clean the entire fuel system reducing emissions and improving performance. Use every 3,000 miles to improve fuel economy, acceleration and reduce emissions

CRC Product website
http://www.crcindustries.com/auto/content/prod_detail.aspx?PN=05063-6&S=N

MSDS shows 25-35% PEA
http://www.crcindustries.com/faxdocs/msds/5063.pdf

Amazon sells it for $10.76
http://www.amazon.com/CRC-05063-Guaranteed-Emissions-Formula/dp/B000CIPUR8

05063.jpg

That's what I use on my vehicles when the dreaded bi-annual smog test shows up, has to work as none of my vehicles have failed yet
cheers3.gif

I used it this morning in order to stop a check engine light from coming on due to a catalytic converter reading. My initial impression is positive as when I put it in, following the directions, and started my car--a plume of smoke came out after a couple of seconds. The car, a Mercury Mystique V6, seems to run a tad smoother and peppier, but nothing dramatic. The check engine light seems to come on periodically, about every one or two thousand miles between reset. Last night I finally had a tech-friend read the code and he told me my converter was going. I've also noticed a steadily, but slight drop in mileage from about 26 mpg in mixed, but mostly highway, driving to about 23-24 mpg. So I thought I'd try this out of curiosity as much as avoiding paying $400-$1000 to fix the exhaust system--as I plan on dumping the car next spring anyways...

I purchased the Cataclean bottle from a parts distributor for $25 and the stuff is made here locally in Orchard Park (I think this is their U.S. facility, but the product originated in the U.K.). The guy at the counter said he's gotten a lot of great feedback and started making almost 'snake-oil' sounding claims. But I do think it definitely did some cleaning as evidenced by the smoke. We'll see if the light stays off...

Last edited:
Please keep us posted as to the reappearance of P0420 check engine light code. Since yours came on only sporadically, I am not sure if we can conclude for sure if Cataclean works or not.

- Vikas

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Please keep us posted as to the reappearance of P0420 check engine light code. Since yours came on only sporadically, I am not sure if we can conclude for sure if Cataclean works or not.

- Vikas

I will.

On their sites, both UK and US, they claimed that CataClean was used in third party testing on Erie County (Western New York) vehicles and produced a reduction in emissions on higher mileage fleet vehicles. Again, take it with a grain of salt...

I did go through some internet threads at various sites and saw decidedly mixed results. But there did seem to be a tangible improvement in most cases during emissions testing...

Last edited:
I put it into one of my cars once,and it immediately revved quicker,and was more peppy.That lasted like 6 miles and then it went back to its usual self.However,an EGR code that was coming up,went away.

I see the CRC says "Complete Fuel System Cleaner" right on the box ^.
Why not just use Redline S1, Techron, Regane etc.?

If I don't have any major problems but I feel I have high emissions, will this help reduce emissions or help even if I don't have a problem with the exhaust or catalytic converter

Originally Posted By: Errtt
I see the CRC says "Complete Fuel System Cleaner" right on the box".
Why not just use Redline S1, Techron, Regane etc.?

Why not, indeed! Have you considered price? Availability? Better parking lot access at a parts store which only stocks CRC Complete? Because you secretly love (or hate) Chevron Oil Company? Because you think CRC used to occupy the Times Square building with the New Year's descending ball (they were not - different CRC) or because you own one copy of every CRC rubber bible ever published and you think they were made by CRC Industries (ditto)? Because you think Corrosion Reaction Consultants is a really neat corporate name?

All the products you mentioned are PEA-based fuel system cleaners, so they will should work about the same (at least in proportion to the amount of PEA in the mix).

P.S. The best reason to use CRC Complete is because CRC Industries operates their own railroad!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back