NEAR-DEATH EXPERIENCES

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thats why i like my lifted truck, no need for jacks or stands all i have to worry about is burning myself with hot oil.

Yep, Lost a friend to a van up on cinder blocks. But heard a WORSE one today! One aquaintance of mine has a quad that he like to load in the back of his truck. He has the cheap(er) folding aluminum ramps and a light quad. HIS friend said, "I'm going down to traictor suplies to get a REAL GOOD set of ramps. I'm not taking any chances" So the guy with the real good set of ramps, out on his first day, starts to load his quad in the back of the truck.......... The left side ramp (rated at 3000 lb. capacity) folded in the middle, trapping him under the quad! The quad, supported by both his hands under the handelbars, throttle wide open, and pinning him with a lot of weight on his chest! It was 1/2 hour before anyone came to find him! Now has a torn lung, and two blood clots, one on his lung, one on a kidney, and is still coughing up blood three days later. He's still alive, but they're trying to dissolve the clots, might be 2-3 more weeks before he can return to work.

quote:

Originally posted by obbop:
(...snip...)When the guy broke the seal on the head the compression was released and the truck rolled. He wasn't fast enough and was run over, killing him.

Wasn't there to see it in person so I suppose this is heresay testimony.

Technically, a statement is hearsay only if it's offered to prove that it's true. Since you're offering the statement in everyone's shared hope of dissuading someone else from doing something similarly stupid and tragic, it's therefore not hearsay at all. Objection overruled.
wink.gif
cheers.gif

I was changing my oil a few hours ago and almost dies 3 different ways. I was reaching up to unscrew the oil filter, but there was a big *** cicada on the top of it (i hate bugs). Anyways, I reached up and just about squished the thing and freaked out (these things sound like old WWI biplanes when they fly). I **** near had a heart attack, a head injury when I hit my head on the bumper, and nearly slit my wrist on some hunk of metal when I pulled my hand out of there.

I know a kid who's uncle died when the jack he was using gave out on him. He told me his uncle lived for a while pinned under the car.

As a police officer and former crime scene investigator, I've personally worked two death scenes where cars fell on the decedents.

Not a pretty way to go.

Does having a water moccassin hanging by it's teeth from your leg count?
I did that. I've also been around many large and not always good-tempered animals, but nobody really had bad intentions toward me.
More than can be said for my wife, who was known to fill her hand with an edged weapon now and then.
I've been in several near-misses in traffic over the years that could have easily resulted in my death, and being shot at isn't conducive to living long.
But I remain. So far.

Engine failure in a single engine turbine OH-58A ( junk) at high speed ( 120 kts) below tree overhang along dirt road(about 3 feet off the ground) flying "convoy cover". Was a CW2 and young butter bar with me about pooped his pants as I exchanged airspeed for rotor RPM in the autorotation and climbed JUST enough to get back up over tree line and BARELY land the POS Bell Helo in an onion field. Tail rotor saw the trees but touchdown was just like I was taught. Slid about 3 feet on skids. Helo was repaired and flown out( by maintenance test pilot) after pneumatic line was replaced.

G-o-d didn't want us to leave yet..

The one that comes to mind is my motorcycle accident. Was told by the EMT's treating me that I should have died. I didn't tell them that right before I hit the retaining wall I ask *** not to let me die. It worked!

Now daily, I stare death in the face working the State Highways on Kansas. Can't count the times an 18 wheeler locked up it's brakes while I was in it's path only to watch it come to a halt only feet from me. I can stand in there path now and I'm able to judge the distance factor and know whether I can avoid it or not. Never had to jump out of the way, yet.

odd, before my accident i told myself not to pay too much attention cuz this was gonna hurt.
I don't remember a thing about the impact except for crunching sounds.
Everyone who say the car, me, or heard the story told me I should be dead. I tried to take that as I was lucky to be alive.
dunno.gif

One day I should put up pics of that mangled bimmer.

Oh yea- i saw fast and the furious, so i decided to drift at a place in atlanta called lake lanier. Nearly landed in the lake- till a tree stopped me. i wasnt going too fast- but i couldn't stop. Honestly- if i did hit the lake- thats what i got for being stupid ehehe

When I was a kid, I recall my father changing the left reat tyre on a Standard 8. The factory jack creaked once, Dad sprang out, and the car hit the deck...he wasin the wheelwewll before, and visibly shaken after. I decided to never work under an unsupported vehicle.

Fast forward a few yers, and I had a new to me ford Falcon. Wanted to change the tranny oil, so jacked it up and put it on stands. I put the stands on some steel plates to spread the load. Haf way through, I felt like I was getting asthma. Took a few seconds to realise that the plates were sinking into the wet ground (wouldn't happen these days). Just squeezed out when I still had some room. I can still see the threaded bar that the former owner used to secure the shifter heading slowly toward my left eye.

Only time I really thought I was gone was when I hit a 25MPH hairpin at 80. Still don't know how I slid through that one.

quote:

Originally posted by Terry:
Engine failure in a single engine turbine OH-58A ( junk) at high speed ( 120 kts) below tree overhang along dirt road(about 3 feet off the ground) flying "convoy cover". Was a CW2 and young butter bar with me about pooped his pants as I exchanged airspeed for rotor RPM in the autorotation and climbed JUST enough to get back up over tree line and BARELY land the POS Bell Helo in an onion field. Tail rotor saw the trees but touchdown was just like I was taught. Slid about 3 feet on skids. Helo was repaired and flown out( by maintenance test pilot) after pneumatic line was replaced.

G-o-d didn't want us to leave yet..

Shoot Terry, I'd have just ejected. NATOPS says if you're below 10k feet and under 250 kts, just pull the handle and be done with it. Oh wait, that's right, an OH-58. . .
wink.gif
tongue.gif
cheers.gif

I helped a guy pull an engine and all he had was multiple wraps of dog leash chain. We had the thing in the air and links kept popping under load. Fortunately enough of them held that it didn't fall. I was nervous about it. Closest i ever had to a near death experience was last April 29th at 10:15 am. I was driving, not working on the car. We were hit head on in my wife's 1995 Honda Civic by a full sized Volvo when the driver lost consiousness and drifted over the center lane. If it had not been for deat belts and air bags I don't think either of us would be here now. The car was a total and both of us took quite a beating.

Pablo really meant; "To this day I long for (fill in the blank)women."
lol.gif

ekpolk, Ejection seats in Helos are included in the autorotation package, you ride your work... success or not to the ground!
canada.gif

Actually the the "fill in the blank" line could replace women. ....tropical_________________. (fruit, climates, weather, life, assignments, houses, wildlife, etc). I did not mean that in the perverted sense.

quote:

Originally posted by Terry:
(...snip...)ekpolk, Ejection seats in Helos are included in the autorotation package, you ride your work... success or not to the ground!
canada.gif

Odd, isn't it, how by the end of WW-I, the engineers had perfected systems for synchronizing machine gun fire through a prop arc, but 90 years later, a shot up Apache driver is still stuck in his steed, for better or worse. . . I always found that having an e-seat under me made the few close shaves I had feel a lot less like close shaves in the first place.
cheers.gif

Times I could have died (besides the one listed above):

Being chased by enraged driver in a large car while riding a motorcycle doing 100 in a 25 mph zone.

Lowering a portable road work sign, while not knowing what I was doing (nor did the 30 year maintenance worker) and having the full weight of the sigh come crashing down where my head would have been (forgot to wear my hard hat too) and would have been killed or maimed, but for a call upon a higher power followed by a brief instant where I was able to hold the sign's weight while I jumped clear.

Attempting to get out of the motorhome on a road shoulder on the driver's side and wife stopped me just as I opened the door and was ready to leap out and a huge truck cam whizzing by very close to the door and likely where I would have been.

Having a car suddenly swerve from in front of me on the freeway only to reveal a parked vehicle in the middle of the freeway and only having enought time to swerve and hope nobody was in the next lane (nobody was).

Escaping a carload of crowbar weilding leather jacketd fellows after me and three buddies all pelted their nice Tbird with very hard packed snowballs and then as we passed them, lobbing a remaining snowball into the drivers lap. The escape was after runing about 6 red lights and crusing about 80 mph down the freeway in a light winter rain, then taking a left exit at the last instant from the right lane. My car went airborne when it hit the median curb (as you were supposed to exit sooner), then we went to a buddy's brother's place on the other side of town and crashed for the night. Whew!

There are others, but thankfully my memory is not so good anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back