seafoam experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll assume you have the 'view signatures' in your personal settings turned off.

It is an '89 Full size Dodge van with a throttle body fuel injected 318. The engine cover comes off in under a minute with 3 bolts and 2 clips and rests nicely over my passenger seat.

The air cleaner is the round type you see on muscle cars. It does have a cold air feed tube, but it will not move when I remove the air cleaner. No MAF sensor. My computer must determine air flow with the MAP sensor. Manifold absolute pressure. It has a vacuum line attached to it which gets it's feed from below the butterflies in the TB.

After the Air cleaner is removed, I drive with my left hand on the wheel and spray the SF down the throttle body throat with my right. The throttle body is right there. I do not need to lean forward, or over.

The sea Foam aerosol can does come with a longer(~ 14 inches) red straw. It has a 170 degree bend in the middle of it. You are supposed to insert this into the air intake so it feeds in the SF after the MAF, I assume.

When the straw is attached, the SF comes out slowly. It pulses too. 3/4 second on, 3/4 second off. It would probably take 20 minutes to empty the can in this manner, but it obviously would not stall the engine like pouring the can into the brake booster hose could. I imagine you could secure the bottle and hold down the toggle and drive around, but I don't think it really sprays out fast enough through the straw to be of benefit, compared to idling it, or my method of introduction.

Without the straw, the Aerosol can shoots out like wasp spray. My TB and the interior part of the intake manifold I can see looks brand new.

I do think that driving it under load at full throttle and spraying a large blast directly into the intake is a pretty ideal method of introduction. Next time I do this, I will do the 15 minute soak, then fire it wasp spray style down the throat while accellerating up a hill, or to top speed on the freeway.

The guy that did my alignment could not believe how well the engine runs. At stop signs I saw him looking for the check engine light to see if it stalled.

My engine runs very good before the SF blast, but afterward the Idle is just silky smooth.

This is what i was doing. If i took the brake booster off, the car would stall. So what i would do is turn the car off, pour some SeaFoam in the BB line, and quickly start it for about 1 sec, before the car could even have a chance to run correctly or smoke, i would turn it off,(even had some Dieseling going on..) then add more seafoam, till the can was empty. Did this maybe 6-9 times, let the car sit for 15 mins then started it,( it gave me a hard time because of all the seafoam...) and then took it out and gave it a good run.. I would like to do it the correct way, and take apart the TB, and all that good stuff, but GM put steel screws in aluminum, and not one screw will come off.

I have done seafoam through throttle body vacuum in the past but recently I find some other way that equally effective. What I did is open all the plug, and spray strong throttle body cleaner for a few seconds to the combustion chamber and plug thread to clean all carbons. After that I put back the plug, and VOILA it results the same like seafoam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back