What is a good regular use Fuel Additive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to know what would be a good fuel additive to use two or three times a year just to keep my fuel system clean but will not harm it as I will only be driving around 15000 miles per year.

First answer: nothing, just use name-brand fuels. Seriously, with virtually everything getting 10% ethanol these days, your fuel system should already be spotless.

If you want to be sure, Techron is the only additive that actually seems to be anything more than a placebo. Or you could just by Chevron or Texaco fuel, which already has Techron in it.

Originally Posted By: hardcore302
Techron or Gumout Regane. Or Redline SL1

+1.....I use RedLine SL-1 in a maintainance dose each time I fill up...about 1.5 oz. per 11 to 12 gal.

Originally Posted By: outoforder
Any thoughts on the Lucas Oil gasoline additive?

Lucas = Snake Oil

I used Techron, Gumout Regane and Redline SL1, of these 3 I like Redline SL1 and Techron best, specially Techron for availability.

Last edited:
As 440 Magnum said, if you are running good quality fuel through your car and have since it was new, you really don't need any fuel system treatment. If you have a problem with your vehicle or you have a vehicle with an unknown service history, a fuel system cleaner with high PEA (polyether amine) can help to correct problems and get the system running in top condition.

Here's a thread about PEA: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1865221

Fuel additives with known high levels of PEA include Gumout Regane, Chevron Techron and Redline SI-1. Regane and Techron can be found pretty easily in the U.S. but SI-1 afaik is only sold at Pep Boys.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Originally Posted By: outoforder
Any thoughts on the Lucas Oil gasoline additive?

Lucas = Snake Oil

Couldn't agree more. Its arguable about MMOs effectiveness and some here have used it successfully for a long time. I myself use about 4oz to an 18gal tank at each fill up. I see a 1-2mpg increase in town and 2-3 on the highway when using it.

I've tried Lucas. Does nothing. Makes the car run worse. Worst of all, its not going to clean anything as there are no solvents of any kind in it.

Last edited:
Redline SL-1 maintenance dose works great for me. 1.5 oz per 10 gallons of gas. I buy it buy the case online. Works out to $5.99 per bottle which is much cheaper than the others quoted here.

I'm going to go against the grain here and recommend MMO. 4 ounces per 10 gallons of gas in every tank, and no more. For best results, first run a tank of a good fuel system cleaner such as Redline, Regane, or Techron. When its time to fill up after the fuel cleaner has run its course, put the MMO in and run it every tank.

Its cheap and effective. The manufacturer also guarantees that when used in the fuel at the recommended dosage, that it will not harm injectors, sensors, etc.

-Spyder

Another vote for MMO. Once a fuel system has been cleaned with a good cleaner like Redline or Techron, MMO will keep it clean and the injectors lubed, along with the UCL benefits it has. In the US it is also very cost effective.

I too use MMO for its upper cylinder lubrication properties, and it seems to have wrung an extra 1 mpg out of my rather inefficient 4.6 liter Ford modular engine. I am trusting that it will keep the fuel system clean from now on and that no additional cleaners (other than the detergents already present in top tier gasoline) will be necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back