Jacking all 4 corners

Status
Not open for further replies.
What would be the safest way to jack up all 4 corners of a car? Since most of us dont have lifts anyway. Ive thought about backing up on ramps for the rear and using a jack on the front engine mount and use jack stands for the front.

What im tring to do is one day service our Jetta's auto tranny...the problem is the car has to be level.

I have jacked vehicles with one end on ramps, and the other on stands. That being said I try to put 4 stands under it.

Cars only need to be level when checking fluid. Be careful about the car coming off the ramps while jacking. Probably be OK, but just saying......

Just get the front on ramps get all the fluid/filter changed out, and fill a little short of full. Then when you get it down and on level ground double check the level.

Originally Posted By: oilboy123
I have jacked vehicles with one end on ramps, and the other on stands. That being said I try to put 4 stands under it.

Cars only need to be level when checking fluid. Be careful about the car coming off the ramps while jacking. Probably be OK, but just saying......

Just get the front on ramps get all the fluid/filter changed out, and fill a little short of full. Then when you get it down and on level ground double check the level.

Thanks. The only issue about that is that there is no dipstick. It has a internal tube that is basicly a dipstick inside the pan.

Originally Posted By: 5sfe91
It sounds safer to use jack stands all the way around.

Would using two jacks work? Jack each side alittle at a time, then slide the stands underneith.

I jack up one side, then slide stands in front and rear. Lower jack. Go to the other side and repeat.

Originally Posted By: meangreen01
I jack up one side, then slide stands in front and rear. Lower jack. Go to the other side and repeat.

This. Ive done it many times, btw its kind of a pain to do on a lowered car.

I have the same car you do and do the trany oil changes myself, and I believe I know your issue.

i take a floor jack to the center of the front end under the engine and their is a large support I use to jack up the whole front end then I set my jack stands under the normal jacking points on the front end.

then i move to the back end and do the same thing.

changing the fluid and getting the correct amount replaced is odd to do on a VW but yet its easy once you have done it.

I change my fluid every year

I'd build some very slight angle ramps that are easy to roll up, and do that on all four.

Otherwise I'd take a good hydraulic jack and do one corner at a time high enough to slide one or two 2x10s under.

Originally Posted By: duaneb9729
I have the same car you do and do the trany oil changes myself, and I believe I know your issue.

i take a floor jack to the center of the front end under the engine and their is a large support I use to jack up the whole front end then I set my jack stands under the normal jacking points on the front end.

then i move to the back end and do the same thing.

changing the fluid and getting the correct amount replaced is odd to do on a VW but yet its easy once you have done it.

I change my fluid every year

I was looking at the back of the car and couldnt find any jacking points. The only jacking point for the rear is just forward of the rear tire....this is on both sides. Yea i also use the front moter mount as a jacking point when working nf the front.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I'd build some very slight angle ramps that are easy to roll up, and do that on all four.

Otherwise I'd take a good hydraulic jack and do one corner at a time high enough to slide one or two 2x10s under.

Thanks...is it fairly safe to do one corner at a time?

If all four wheels are off the ground supported by four jack stand, what prevents the vehicle from moving forward or backward and toppling the jack stands?

I had a metal ramp collapse once while I was beneath the car. I started to roll out the moment it started to creak, and I wasn't very far beneath it.

I now ALWAYS put something BIG and SOLID under there if I have to be down there, like a wheel, log, etc.

M

Originally Posted By: morris
i lost my father-in-law under a ramp. ALLWAYS chock weels

AAAWWW man sorry to hear that.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Reconsider lifting all 4 corners.
Maybe only the front needs to be raised.
[It will be a mess, anyway!]

I wish it was that easy but the car has to be level.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
If all four wheels are off the ground supported by four jack stand, what prevents the vehicle from moving forward or backward and toppling the jack stands?

My head i guess. What other options do i have....other than spending a bunch of money to have a shop look at it.

I've thought of driving one end up on ramps, then jacking up the other end and putting it on jackstands. What's wrong with that? I'm not sure exactly how much I trust the plastic ramps I have, but so far I haven't noticed any problems. One thing I've seen done "in the hood" is to find an appropriately high curb for one end of the car, and then drive the other up on ramps. Just be sure you don't drive completely off the high curb or you can hang up. You have to get the distances just right.

I regularly jack my car and my wife's at all four corners like so:

1) Jack up the front end from a central jacking point.
2) Put stands at the two front support points, behind the front wheels.
3) Jack up the rear from a central jacking point.
4) Put stands at the two rear support points, in front of the rear wheels.
5) Push on the car to make sure it's not going anywhere.

The weight of the car on the stands ensures it's not going anywhere unless tremendous force is applied. Of course this is on a flat surface. The rear wheels are chocked while the front is being lifted.

Both cars have fairly convenient central front and rear jacking points.. I've had cars in the past that didn't and it's definitely more of a PITA in that case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back