2009 Cummins ISL, 425 HP, FF, 172 hrs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
2009 Cummins ISL 425 HP.

Factory installed oil and filter (spin on filter contains a bypass oil filter).

Fire engine service.

172 hrs on oil and filter.

172 hrs on unit.

Fe----70

Cr----1

Al----16

Cu----51

Pb----4

Sn----0

Cd----1

Ag----1

V-----0

Si----24

Na----6

K-----75

Ti----1

Mo----9

Sb----7

Mn----6

Li----0

B-----3

Mg----157

Ca----1919

Ba----10

P-----915

Z-----1056

Fuel, GC = 1.1%

Soot=
H20=
Visc @100C= 13.1

TBN= 5.61

Ox= 12

Ni= 16

Oil and filter were changed at 6 months as required by warranty for Fire service. Filled with 6.5 gal of Schaeffer's Supreme 7000 15W-40 CJ-4. I'll post the results from this fill in 6 months.

Thanks, REDDOG

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the Schaeffers should afford you a nice result in six months.
laugh.gif

.1% soot on a 2009 engine. That's odd. I thought these things soot load the oil like crazy due to them running like 30 percent egr? Doesn't it have all the dpf/egr nonsense? The wear metals will drop over time as the engine breaks in btw.

Last edited by a moderator:
The potassium looks high too. You see all kind of weird things in the factory fill. There really isn't a point in doing a uoa on the first oil change. But keep an eye on the potasium level next uoa. Potassium indicates coolant incase you don't know. Should stay around 5-7ppm.

Yep the K certainly got my attention. This UOA is just a starting point-the next will be much more telling. Not sure how many hrs this unit will see in 6 months, but probably less than 100 normally.

Is the 6 month mandate coming from Cummins? I thought the max drain interval for the ISL was 20k, but I wasn't aware of a 6 month limit. Good call on starting the UOA program so soon. You will be able to trend data, and spot problems quickly. If you have to put in a warranty claim, the stack of UOA's will be very helpful.

Once this unit is out of warranty, I would consider installing a sampling port and taking live oil samples every ~6 months. Assuming the engine gets up to operating temperature and fuel dilution isn't a problem, you could easily run the same oil for a full year...or longer.

Yes sir. The 6 month limit is set by Cummins for this type of service.

The other non warranty units we have I run much longer based on analysis. I will be posting a 2 year old fill on another unit next month.

I agree Rob. I like to sample the FF so I can make sure the trends are heading in the right direction. It's hard to know how things are looking if you don't know where they started.

Thanks, REDDOG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back