2007 BMW 335i Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
have a customer who needs an oil change on his 2007 BMW 335i. It's a 3.0l turbo engine with standard tranny. In AllData, it calls for 5W30 synthetic oil, preferably their own brand, but on the oil cap, obviously it says castrol. What is everyones thoughts on using Amsoil 5W30 XL series oil in this ???

German Castrol Syntec 0w30 is a good bet. Proven track record and very strong. Mobil 1 0w40 is okay, but I would put it behind GC.

FYI the GC is a very heavy 30-weight and is almost like a 40. That should equate to some better high-temp protection.

If you aren't worried about running BMW approved oil, there's tons of others worth trying.

Originally Posted By: crazyman
What is everyones thoughts on using Amsoil 5W30 XL series oil in this ???

You want an oil with HT/HS of at least 3.5. If you want to use Amsoil, then I'd probably use their 5w-40 Euro grade.

have a customer who needs an oil change on his 2007 BMW 335i. It's a 3.0l turbo engine with standard tranny. In AllData, it calls for 5W30 synthetic oil, preferably their own brand, but on the oil cap, obviously it says castrol. What is everyones thoughts on using Amsoil 5W30 XL series oil in this ???

Just use one of the three fairly easy to get approved oils.

BMW's own label 5w30.

Mobil 1 0w40

or

German Castrol (the 0w30). NOT the 5w30, which is not approved.

In a BMW that wasn't my own, I'd probably use the German Castrol or BMW's branded oil.

Last edited:
i looked again at AllData, all it mentions is 5w30 synthetic. no mention of any LL's or even any other grade such as 0w40 or 5w40. this is why im wondering about the amsoil xl 5w30. we all know its a great oil, apptoved or not, so whether to use it or not, trying to find out.

i looked again at AllData, all it mentions is 5w30 synthetic. no mention of any LL's or even any other grade such as 0w40 or 5w40. this is why im wondering about the amsoil xl 5w30. we all know its a great oil, apptoved or not, so whether to use it or not, trying to find out.

AllData is funny like that sometimes. Good program, it is.

GC 0W-30 is really winning this debate. Id use it, as Castrol also makes BMW's branded oil. FWIW, I never geat "Dealership parts" this includes Oil filters unless its something that is unwise to buy from a parts store. Parts store computers can sometimes be helpful, but frequently list conflicting data.

Youve had about 4 different recommendations for GC 0W-30. Thats a good oil. Try it out, see how it does!

I'm guessing he already has the XL 5w-30 in the shop and is just trying to figure out whether it's OK to use it. Personally, I would leave the XL 5w-30 for another job and go buy the proper oil for the 335i.

Last edited:
"BMW recommends castrol"

Stamped right on the oil cap, at least on my old 545i it was. Stick with the GC. Its the "best" oil for those cars.

M1 0w-40 is a "light" 40 weight or the GC 0w-30 are both fine readily available alternatives (Both LL01). Yes the 0w-40 may shear to a heavy 30 weight but who really cares when it's almost a 30 weight to begin with.

I've used both oils in my previous BMW's & to be honest it's a matter of preference.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back