Castrol Syntex or Castrol Power RS Vtwin 4T

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't want to git a war started, but was wondering about the two oils.

API ratings

if castrol syntex has api of sm,sl,sj,cf
castrol power rs vtwin 4t has sl,jaso,ma-2

How many of the ratings do yor really need to run it in a Harley Motorcycle,

And what is JASO, and ma-2

welcome2.gif
to BITOG!

JASO is the Japanese Automotive Standards Organization. MA-2 is a JASO specification for motor oil for bikes with a wet clutch.

If your bike has wet clutch, use the JASO MA-2 rated oil. Use of some regular automotive oils can cause clutch slippage, due to the use of friction modifiers.

Harley says to use oil with a SG api rating. Funny their own brand oil does not carry any api rating. Motorcycle oil isn't required to list it. I'm not saying some don't have it, just there's no leagal requirement for motorcycle oil to have it.,,

Looked on the Castol bottle and called them. I was told under no circumstance to use automotive oils in a motorcycle.
Using automotive oils will cause the engine to wear faster.
The motorcycle turn higher rpms and need friction modifiers and I think it was zinc in the motorcycles.
They told me to use Vtwin oil only and the MA-2 along with the Jaso was important cause of what was in them.
They have gone to great lengths to make this oil and make it good.

JASO "MA" is the Japanese wet clutch friction test for motorcycles.

"MA2" is the latest wet clutch friction test. "MA2" lowers the maximum zinc/phosporus to approx 800 ppm. There are many of us that would get the "MA" over the "MA2" simply for this reason.

You can browse and read all about it at this link - Scroll down to the top of page 14 in the PDF document:

http://www.jalos.or.jp/onfile/pdf/4T_EV0604.pdf

It is true that Harleys have a wet clutch but it is disassociated in that is resides in the primary chaincase. The crankcase is separate.

If you want an even better crankcase oil for a better price then try Valvoline VR1 20W-50. There are used oil analysis out on this board that attest to the robustness of this oil for use in Harleys. It is $4.29 at our local O'Rielly's and the same at Advance Auto Parts.

You can dump a quart of Rotella or Delvac 15W-40 into the primary chaincase and it will give you good service. Been doing that for many years.

"MA2" is the latest wet clutch friction test. "MA2" lowers the maximum zinc/phosporus to approx 800 ppm. There are many of us that would get the "MA" over the "MA2" simply for this reason.

I don't think that "MA2" has anything to do with additive levels. As far as I know it is only a higher/closer tolerance clutch spec. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back