How many quarts in a gallon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at the gallon jugs at Wal-Mart

1 Gal. jugs are the standard for Rotella, Delo, and Delvac.

3.78 Liters I believe

Wouldn't that be four quarts?

Asking this because someone on here was talking about 5 quart bottles at Wal-Mart????

[ March 12, 2003, 02:13 AM: Message edited by: Justin ]

The 5 quart jug is quite common, as a 5 quart sump capacity is common for many gassers. The consumer needs only to pick up 1 container for an oil change.

Diesel engines usually have a much larger sump capacity, so owner's of those are usually buying upwards of 4 gallons for an oil change. Guessing that's why the diesel oils are in gallon containers.

quote:

Originally posted by Justin:
Looking at the gallon jugs at Wal-Mart

1 Gal. jugs are the standard for Rotella, Delo, and Delvac.

3.78 Liters I believe

Wouldn't that be four quarts?

Asking this because someone on here was talking about 5 quart bottles at Wal-Mart????

Sorry about the previous post with no comments, I'm not used to this format.

Keep in mind that 4 quarts equals 1 US Gallon but 5 quarts equal 1 Imperial Gallon (i.e. Canada)However, it is more likely that the 5 quarts is due to the oil capacity of most cars being ~5 quarts.

quote:

Originally posted by Justin:

They were talking about Mobil 1 (for gasoline engines). It's available in 5 quart jugs at Wal-Mart (or at least some of them). I don't know of any other 5 quart oil jugs.

You were looking at diesel oils, which are normally sold in gallon (four quart) containers.

Guys, I think that Justin is just getting some clarification on what oils come in the the 4 and 5 quart jugs. I know that Walmart has 5 quart jugs while Kmart will have the four quart jugs of the same brand oils. -Joe

I had read somewhere that the reason diesel oils are available in 4qt. (gallon) containers had something to do with the measurements on typical tractor dipsticks. Once the oil level got down below the bottom mark, it would take a gallon to fill it back up ... something like that.

Anyone comment on this?
confused.gif

--- Bror Jace

Before you get those big gallon or 5 qt jugs, consider where your oil fill hole is. My S2000 filler is at the back middle of the engine bay, of course I was careful but spilled some on the engine anyway
pat.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back