My new Tundra calls for 0w20 can I run 0w30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2010 Tundra with the 4.6l engine. It calls for 0w20. Its tough to find the 0w20. But 0w30 is every where. I am going to do its first oil change it has almost 2400 miles on it.I am anxious to see if there are many metal shavings in the filter.

There's plenty of 0w20, but I will admit the selection is a lot less. Mobil 1 AFE has a 0w20.

I suspect they chose 0w20 to help with fuel economy. Try 0w30 (German Castrol or Redline come to mind) and get it analyzed.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: live_to_hunt
I have a 2010 Tundra with the 4.6l engine. It calls for 0w20. Its tough to find the 0w20. But 0w30 is every where. I am going to do its first oil change it has almost 2400 miles on it.I am anxious to see if there are many metal shavings in the filter.

Are you being sarcastic? Why would you see any metal shavings in the filter? 0w30 is fine for those engines.

Originally Posted By: Chris Meutsch
Just run 5w20 in my opinion. You can run the 0w30 but fuel economy will suffer slightly.

+1.....5w20 will serve you well in New Jersey. Its much easier to find in 5 qt. jugs and cost less. Using 5w20 will not effect your warrenty.

Suggest 5w20...M1, PP. Valvoline SynPower or PU.

Last edited:
Seeing that the engine calls for 8 quarts, 5 quart jugs of 5W-20 at Wal-Mart would be my choice. PS No I would not run 30 weight..PPS Toyota is cleverly trying to get business back to the dealerships, even for just an oil change, so they know full well that there just isn't alot of 0W-20 on the shelves in the retail market and they are banking people will come back to them. Same reason they went to cartridge oil filters as well.

Last edited:
i'd reallly check if you can run that weight oil
It would suck if this engine failed and your warranty got voided.
Its worth the extra trouble for the peace of mind.

I agree, I'd run the OEM spec oil. There's plenty of 0W-20 out there, and more on the way as well. Toyota's oil and filters are price competitive at the dealer.

You can run 5W-20. Technically, you're supposed to reduce the OCI from the likely recommended 10k miles back to 5k miles if you're running 5W-20. That's because the 5W-20 grade is available as a "conventional" oil, and I guess they don't want you running that to 10k miles.

You're changing the factory fill way early anyway, so I'll guess that you won't do 10k mile OCIs either. If you're going to do 5k mile OCIs anyway, you can run either grade (0W-20 or 5W-20).

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Run the viscosity and type of oil your owner's manual recommends. You have a warranty.

+1 Mobil 1 and Castrol Edge both come in 0W20 and are very good oils. Toyota also sells their own label 0W20 oil. Stick with what the mfg suggests during the warranty period, then use what ever you want.

1. Using a different grade of oil won't automatically void your warranty. Your warranty will only be voided if your engine fails because of the oil you used. (which is extremely unlikely)
2. That said, I'd go with a synthetic 5W-20 over 0W-30, because the owner's manual makes a provision for it, and because, unless you live in Alaska, the two will perform almost identically.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: live_to_hunt

Get some 0w20 from Toyota. I suspect it will work better than other 0w20's that don't have as much Moly

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
What's the point of using anything other than the factory spec oil?a

I believe the OP said he was having a hard time finding 0W-20.

I can relate - one can find 5qt. jugs of practically everything but 0W-20, and the jugs are more economical.

Originally Posted By: NateDN10
I believe the OP said he was having a hard time finding 0W-20.

I can relate - one can find 5qt. jugs of practically everything but 0W-20, and the jugs are more economical.

Availability and cost are two different things. If cost is the main factor, then sure, use a 5W-20 in the jug (though using a 0W-20 for the recommended 10k mile OCI should still be less expensive). Availability shouldn't be too much of a concern, so long as a Toyota dealer or Walmart is within reach. Both have plenty of quality 0W-20 oil (though it does come in quart bottles).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back