Noise when turning my steering wheel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just noticed today in my 2008 Scion xB when I turn the steering wheel to the left with the windows up and it is quiet inside the car, I get this clicking noise which seems to come from the steering wheel itself. It can not be heard outside the car (like by the front tires) and only when turning the wheel to the left. Also, this noise happens weather driving or stationary.

The 2008 xB has an electric power steering system, not hydraulic. In case that matters!

Just looking for advice, or if this may be normal for electric power steering motors, but I don't remember it honestly.

If you need any more information, let me know.

Last edited:
I may have found a TSB for my car for this very issue:

2008 Scion Xb Steering Service Bulletin 15639

NHTSA: Action Number: 10030907 Service Bulletin Number: 15639

* Report Date:
Aug 27, 2009
* Component:
Steering

Summary: Scion: steering intermediate shaft knocking noise. Some vehicles may exhibit a clunk, pop, or knocking noise when turning the steering wheel to the left or right. A new intermediate shaft has been developed to address this condition.

Update:

Went to the dealer and they said it was the Steering intermediate shaft. They lubricated it and said for replacement would be $2495.00 - Yes... $2500. Out of warranty, so no help there. Dealer also told me it did not relate to the TSB, due to the noise being more of a click versus a "knock"... Right.

I got home and right away called Scion Corp... They called back today and reviewed the case with the Dealer and found out there was a typo on the estimate, and was only $460 (big typo, eh?) and apologized and all that. They also said it WAS applicable to the TSB posted above, but only up to 36,000 and covered under bumper-to-bumper warranty. But they said they will work with me, and the dealer will run it through as TSB repair, free of charge for the part but I would be responsible for labor $225.00, and all I would have to do is fax a copy of receipt to her directly and they will write me a check for the labor. So it will be done, free.

So it worked out and the car going back next Tuesday for repair.
19.gif

The service manager at the dealer apologized for all the price issue and was very kind and easy to work with. I really like this dealer, so glad they correcting the issue along with Scion Corp.

Last edited:
Nice. My local Toyota/Scion dealer has been superb to work with. Sounds like yours is taking care of you also. Wish they all did like yours and mine do.

I've had several problems with steering in my silverado. The dealer replaced the intermediate steering shaft twice, greased it once, replaced another part that was grease sealed that failed, and finally replaced the entire rack/pinion.

It works fine now, of course, but really? When did they (vehicle manufacturers) suddenly "unlearn" how to make a steering shaft?

Gone are the days of my B2000 with no power anything (brakes, steering, electronic toys).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back