L-E grease and snowmobiles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am interested in getting a couple-three tubes of grease for the front and rear suspension on a my snowmobiles. I was thinking cold weather type, considering many times I go its 0 °F. I was looking at Schaeffer # 274, but I would have to pay freight which probably woul;d cost as much as the tube. I can get Lubrication Engineers grease and have to drive 20 minutes (I can handle that).

My question is which Lubrication Engineers grease would be best suited for a snowmobile suspension? I was thinking # 4701 (cold weather) or 4622 (multiplex, anti-water). I was talking to someone who mentioned he uses 1275, which to me seems a bit heavy for cold weather use.

Any suggestions? Or ideas??

Thanks...bob

Either one of those (4701 or 4622) would be good for your application. If you can find somewhere that will just sell you two or three tubes, your a lucky man. Most times you have to buy it in a 50 tube case.

If you think you can get good performance out of 3752, you can buy it here by the tube:

http://www.mag-hytec.com/oil-LE 3752.htm

http://www.le-inc.com/products/documents/3750-3752_flyer.pdf

I think if you service the snowmobiles in the garage or while it's still warm out, you won't break your arm trying to pump it from the gun. I was fortunate enough to receive two tubes from Johnny awhile back. Last week I used it to grease the ball joints and drive shafts on my Tundra. I think it's the least messy grease I've ever worked with so far. Thanks Johnny.

I like the looks of the 3751 grease.

however,I stopped today at a local distributor of: PetroCanada, Valvoline, Conoco, Gulf, Shell among other oils and greases.

I was recommended from them Conoco Phillips Megaplex XD5 grade #1. Now the kicker, I can get the LE grease $8-10 a tube or a case (10 tubes) of this for $26.50. Or the Gulf Lithium EP #1 grease for the same $26.50. I was also told about Brad Penn Synthetic EP #2, but didn't get any price for that.

Is the LE really worth the extra money? Or even the Brad Penn for that matter? not trying to be cheap, but 3 tubes of grease versus 10 is a substantial difference for me. gulf or Conoco? I haven't used anything from Conoco, I know they're huge, but that doesn't always make it better either.

thanks for the inputs,
bob

The LE 3751 is an exceptional product and I personally believe it is worth the price, however that ConocoPhillips Megaplex XD5 is a very good grease.

I would choose the ConocoPhillips over the Gulf or Brad Penn greases. Which particular PetroCanada grease did they have and how much was it?

If they have the PetroCanada Precision Synthetic grease, that is a very good product. One of our Canadian friends sent me a tube of it and it is working quite well.

Johnny, the woman wouldn't give me a price on the Petro-Canada grease, because they had only, if I can remember correctly, 30 pack cases or at least more than I really need. I cannot remember name of the grease other than it was good to around -20°F.

Here's a question, mainly because this is new to me and I'm probably reading into this too much.....The 3751 is a Lithium based grease and the 4701 is aluminum complex grease. The Timken reading is better with the 3751, but the water wash-out/emulsifier would be better with the 4701. Would the "tacky" on the 3751 help in the water washout, granted it isn't as if I'm driving through water (like a boat trailer), but rather when the snow melts. If I was smart I would just go buy a couple tubes of the 3751 and be done with it, but I'm also trying to learn at the same time......

thanks for the help,

bob

They are both very good greases and I personally think they would both perform about the same with the amount of water you will see. The 3751 will give you better shock loading protection for the time you run over those snow covered logs or rocks. I really like the 3751 & 3752 greases. I believe that is what I would use.

The L-E dealer is:

Lubrication Technologies
120 Bosworth Street
West Springfield, Mass 01089
413-788-5823

The ConocoPhillips grease is through GH Berlin in East Hartford, CT.

bob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back