PureOne PL14459 Cut Open (Pixs)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeeOSix

$100 site donor 2022
This is a Purolator PureOne PL14459. Came off a 3.5L V6 Altima and was on for 5,035 miles. Running Mobil Clean 5000 5w-30 oil.

I also did a little test of the ADBV, and will give details later in the thread. Measured the area of the media and came up with 84.4 sq-in.

Also using a magnetic drain plug, so here's a couple shots of that first.

Collected debris on magnetic drain plug.
DSCF5899-a.jpg

Wiped half the debris off ... not much collected on the plug - engine is in good shape.
DSCF5904-a.jpg

Drainage setup for the filter to test the ADBV.
While the filter was still pretty hot I put it base side down in a funnel and let the hot oil drain out, and then left it to drain for a whole week. After the week of draining, I then jammed some folded over Q-tip sticks in 3 of the base plate holes to open up the ADBV to let the guts drain out in a clean glass. What drained out was what the ADBV was holding back for a week.
DSCF5934-a.jpg

Results of the oil trapped by the ADBV - it came out to 6 ounces.

A rough calculation of the volume between the center core and the can shell showed to be about 13.7 cu-in. Six ounces of fluid will take up 10.8 cu-in, so this means basically the ADBV was keeping the entire space between the can and center core full of oil indefinitely. Conclusion - silicon ADBVs work!
DSCF5957-a.jpg

Initial cut open.
DSCF5976-a.jpg

Media is a little wavy. Note - this car uses zero coolant.
DSCF5983-a.jpg

Waviness is worse by the seam, but no signs of damaged media.
DSCF5988-a.jpg

Where media is wavy, it looks like the base of the pleats were glued in crooked, and you can see by the red lines that the pleat runs are not aligned straight from end cap to end cap to begin with, so they were most likely wavy when new.
DSCF6031-a.jpg

Spiral wound center core. Can also see the bypass valve coil spring housing in the bottom of the core.
DSCF5987-a.jpg

Bypass valve is coil spring design. The valve top feels kind of like hard rubber for a good seal. The spring felt pretty soft and moved well.
DSCF5986-a.jpg

Leaf spring installed on top of media can. Leaf spring holds the guts tight inside the can.
DSCF6013-a.jpg

ADBV offset from its normal resting spot. Note the raised ring around the base that the lip of the ADBV seals up against.
DSCF6004-a.jpg

ADBV in place and raised up. Note how the lip of the ADBV mates to the raised ring on the base.
DSCF6010-a.jpg

Thanks for the pictures! No one has ever pointed out that the base plates do not exactly line up causing the waviness. Perhaps they are like that new?
21.gif

Bravo Z06 for the wonderful report! You've set a high standard for dissection of a oil filter.

Such a great value premium filter that PureOne.

Thanks again for the write-up and excellent pics and will always be looking forward for your next one.

Originally Posted By: BigBuck
So does mine. Are there any bigger filters to upgrade to?

I ran that trap line a while ago, and could not find anything bigger than the 14459, at least for the Altima. I'm using the 14459 instead of the 14610 (which is about 15% smaller than the 14459).

But I like the PL14459 over the PL14610 for a couple of other reasons:

1) Filtering efficiency is rated at 99.9% @ 20 microns instead of 40 microns on the PL14610. Check the actual filter box text to see this difference.

2) Media area is 10 sq-in larger on the PL14459 than the PL14610.

3) The 14459 has a coil spring bypass valve instead of the flat "45 record" style of spring found on the PL14610.

Thanks for all the nice comments on this thread.

Great report. The filter is a great value, the report makes me glad I'm using them! One of the best filter values for the money IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back