Opinion on Grease Gun Needle Nozzles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just wanted to know your opinion on grease gun needle nozzles (I have seen ones that are 18 ga.) and can supposedly be used to penetrate CV boots (and I would assume ball joints). Do you think this would be a good idea to use or will it completely destroy the ball joints? I want to grease the universal joints but I do not have zerk fittings.

Can I also use this to lubricate a universal joint just by shooting grease in every space I can? What is your opinion?

Thank you,
Techniker

Interesting topic. I'd like to know since my FWD has sealed for life units. Maybe injecting grease can prolong their life.

My dad used a needle on his grease gun on his Ford F150's front end. I think it was the ball joints. You could always hear him coming from around the block since his suspension was so squeaky. They are sealed for life and took a liking to the grease as they are now silent. This has been over a year ago and they're working fine. Truck has circa 150k

That is why I am interested. These "sealed for life" units are a joke- how can anything be good for life? This is what worries me when manufacturers claim that ATF is good for the life of the vehicle and why I don't take manufacturer advice as the word of God like some people do here.

So any input anyone?

-Techniker

Well yea they would work for CV boots and BJ someplace were you can pierce it through the ribber but a U joint? you may be able to slide it to the one side of one post between the rubber seal and post and shoot some in there.

i use a needle to grease grease less bearings slide it past the dust seal and inner race works perfectly.

they have there place in the tool box sure.

i've been using these needles for many years, on my vehicles, and others on which i did maintenance.never heard of a failure from anyone.
some here will argue that dirt will enter the innards.opinions vary. that's why i only use the fine needle -- about the size of a standard sewing needle. the large guage needle is too large, imo.i've never tried it on CV boots or U joints. good luck.

And so what happens to the old grease? Does it ooze out of the edges of the ball joint like a regular zerk fitting one or does it just swell?

-Techniker

Originally Posted By: Techniker
And so what happens to the old grease? Does it ooze out of the edges of the ball joint like a regular zerk fitting one or does it just swell?

-Techniker

if not over filled it'll just swell with the new grease and be good for many years
Originally Posted By: Jakegday
what would keep the grease inside of the cv boot? do you melt the hole shut?

the hole would be so small it would self seal basically.

Originally Posted By: Jakegday
what would keep the grease inside of the cv boot? do you melt the hole shut?

This is what I was wondering. I was thinking it might self-seal and even if it doesn't, if you add grease often enough should it even matter?

This brings me to another question. Is there anything you can do to prolong the life of the CV boot? I've heard of spraying it with silicone grease but that is it. Any other ideas?

-Techniker

I too considered using an armor all type rubber preservative on the boots. But in my owner's manual it says when changing the oil be sure not to let any oil get on the boot. I never understood this statement til I asked. They said it is because oil attracts dust, dirt and sand. When that sediment gets into the grooves of the boot coupled with it spinning and flexing, will wear it out negating any benefit of the preservative.

So, I suspect keeping your CV boots clean is all you can do.

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
I too considered using an armor all type rubber preservative on the boots. But in my owner's manual it says when changing the oil be sure not to let any oil get on the boot. I never understood this statement til I asked. They said it is because oil attracts dust, dirt and sand. When that sediment gets into the grooves of the boot coupled with it spinning and flexing, will wear it out negating any benefit of the preservative.

So, I suspect keeping your CV boots clean is all you can do.

Sigh, I'll go get the pry bar and the breaker bar...

Techniker - PM'd

But those needles are best for roller bearing on wheels. You don't have to remove the rotor, brakes, and bearings to shoot some grease in between the rollers where it belongs.
Forget C/V joints. They are greased for life, and they take special grease, not wheel bearing grease.
If you shoot grease on top of the ball joint socket, it may make some incidental benefit. But drilling a hole and installing a grease fitting on the bottom if far better. Use care. I have done a lot of them, but you can cause problems, depending on the design.
Non greasable ball joints are here to stay - they can be excellent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back