Does shell/bp add additive in it at the pump?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering do bp or shell have already have additive in 93 octane gas.

I mean does it come with fuel,intake,engine cleaning on gas or it don't? Ifnot then we have to buy gumout all in one system n do that come PEA or Amsoil is the best?

There are additives in the gas, yes. It's not nearly as strong as the one-off doses you'd add yourself in Techron, Regane, etc. With regular use they certainly help keep the motor cleaner.

They usually add it at the terminal when they load the 18 wheeler for delivery to stations, FWIW.

Everyone has additives, they usually put "over and above" in the high test, and if Shell or BP advertises top tier, there's that.

Generallly yes.....I know over at gasbuddy.com the whole "fuel additives" comes up a LOT in discussions....some say they are nothing but gimmicks, say a couple ounces dumped into their huge tractor trailer capacity :p But you really can't go wrong with top tier.....

Though can't say I've had any problems with Mobil either (who doesn't "tout" their additives as much as Shell or Chevron)....but also have had good luck with BP, Shell, and Chevron gas.....the primary stations in my area....along with some Kangaroo Express stations (who knows what they use lol.....probably just EPA recommended amounts).

The bottom line is that if the gas additive has a high quality detergent like PEA in it in high concentrations it is very effective at cleaning the entire fuel delivery system and combustion chamber of carbon as well.....

Even organanizations like API, and SAE confirm such information.

All fuels right now except exxon are blended before they are ever pumped into the tanker truck. Exxon still mixes their additives as it is being loaded at the truck. I have two trucks that haul nothing but gas from the tank farm in Greensboro, NC and all gas in has a dye so they know who it goes to. Exxon blends their additives as the truck is loading. The rest have there miracle mixtures in them when they come from the pipeline thats why you will find variations in how the same fuel runs in your car from different locations.

Last edited:
Are there still Exxon stations? I thought they were sold to Gulf. Is it regional only because there are no more Exxon stations in New England any more.

- Vikas

A quick trip through the Exxon Mobil station locator shows mostly Exxon branded stations east of the Rockies and south of the Mason-Dixon line. The Mobil brand covers the rest.

Brand names pull out of markets and stations change affiliation for reasons not obvious to us. In June 2010 Chevron pulls out of many states including Kentucky and Indiana. Read the many new stories for details.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back