Toyota 4.7L 2UZ-FE, 8500 mi on Mobil 1 5W30

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the same engine in my 2002 Sequoia Limited.

If you prefer oil change intervals in the 10,000-15,000 mile range I would say change over to Mobil 1 Extended Performance, Castrol Edge, Pennzoil Ultra, or Amsoil SSO with no less than an extended drain filter such as by Mobil, Fram Extended Guard, or Bosch Distance Plus.

I currently have Pennzoil Ultra 5w-30 in the engine with a Fram Extended Guard XG3614 filter. I prefer a yearly oil change which can range from 10-15k miles.

Originally Posted By: burp43
Thanks, I guess the next uoa will be pretty telling. I really do need to cut the interval back to 5000 mi., huh?

People keep telling me I can go 10-15,000 miles on synthetic oil, but I usually change it at 6000 mi. Just stretched it a bit this time around!

This is my first UOA, I hope I don't get addicted. :)
I would cut it back to no more than the universal averages of 6200 just to see how it compares at about the average oci. Fewer miles should result in fewer WM circulating in the oil.

Hi,
FZ1 - The difference of 10ppm say in Iron will have no affect on engine life. It is permissible to up to and beyond 100ppm in Iron with little if any affect - especially in first/single pass UOAs.

Minor variances in wear metels are quite meaningless, trending will assist understanding this

As they are accumulative the greater/time/distance etc the greater the numbers - an OC will dispose of some - typically there will be some carryover!

Hi,Doug,of course,I defer to your expertise,but,I've noticed that the increase in wear metals is not ratable with miles driven on the oil. WM,at a point,increase at a greater rate than miles driven,so the WM,contaminates,oil condition,etc.,appear to begin contributing to yet more wear. So,it would appear,that the optimal point,at which to change oil,would be at the point at which the WM begin to increase at a rate greater than rateably with the miles driven. So,I'm very interested to hear your opinion as to how much,is too much WM,to be circulating in the engine? Thanks.

Hi,
FZ1 - WM levels at engine lubricant condemnation - requiring an immediate change - vary slightly from one engine Manufacturer to another and in some cases to the lubricant used. Some have WM levels based on specific metallurgy used in the engine family

A typical WM levels "set" follows:
Iron - 150ppm
Copper - 20ppm
Lead - 20ppm

These are general wM levels and unless trended (as abnormal results) these levels do NOT indicate an engine problem. When trended and abnormal along with associated negative engine performance factors or lubricant indicators they may

Remember that such WM levels are accumulative and typically after an OC there will be/may be initial contamination and the fresh lubricant may have WM levels present too

I have a 2UZ-FE V-8 engine of similar vintage in my 2000 Tundra. I bought it 9/99 and it has 178K miles now. I did my first UOA on it at 99K and it showed 12 PPM Pb on a 5K mile OCI. That was the only flagged wear metal, so that's what I tried to improve upon. I think I've gotten the engine to where I want it now. Here's a history of what I've tried and done to improve wear control:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...rue#Post1716295

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back