Seafoam in the tank - diesel

Status
Not open for further replies.
So this last fill-up I added the whole 16oz can of Seafoam to ~14.5 gallons of diesel. It's supposed to do "good things" (lube, clean, moisture control/anti-gel), though cetane boost is not one of them.

Prior to this I'd been using PowerService for a few months, Howes, FPPF, Stanadyne before that. I'll go back to Stanadyne next tank to compare.

Does anyone here use Seafoam in the fuel regularly?

I added 1 oz per gallon Seafoam in tank before last and ran until almost empty. I did not notice much of any difference from prior tanks of ULSD and Howes Diesel treat.

At the recommendation of some diesel gents on this board I acquired a case of Standadyne Performance (Blue Bottle) for my 05 CTD.

I added 8oz to 30 gallons and the effects are noticeable:
Quiter, smoother, steady power roll on and somewhat more willing. My son is 12 and he commented on how quiet the truck was since I using Stanadyne--but he had no idea that I had made the change. Did Seafoam set this tone with the prior application? I really don't think so. Iuse it more in small engines with gasoline and carbs.

Thanks JXW
thumbsup2.gif

Bought some MMO at Maomart today. Next tank will be Stanadyne, then MMO after that.

I have read somewhere that Alcohol (the main ingredient of Seafoam from their MSDS) is not good for diesel fuel. In general alcohol will make diesel fuel drier (less lubricity). The same reason why we don't mix in gasoline (with ethanol) and diesel in a diesel vehicle.

My suggestion is to check out the DieselPlace forum > Maintenance & Fluid section. There is the results of lubricity study for diesel fuel done a while back when ULSD was getting started. It ranks the different additive for diesel fuel. Now, this is if your objective is to add lubricity to the ULSD fuel. What is interesting in the results of that study is that 2 cycle oil is a very good diesel additive.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JMJNet
I have read somewhere that Alcohol (the main ingredient of Seafoam from their MSDS) is not good for diesel fuel. In general alcohol will make diesel fuel drier (less lubricity). The same reason why we don't mix in gasoline (with ethanol) and diesel in a diesel vehicle.

My suggestion is to check out the DieselPlace forum > Maintenance & Fluid section. There is the results of lubricity study for diesel fuel done a while back when ULSD was getting started. It ranks the different additive for diesel fuel. Now, this is if your objective is to add lubricity to the ULSD fuel. What is interesting in the results of that study is that 2 cycle oil is a very good diesel additive.

I had that concern too and asked that very question. Below is the reply from Seafoam and Berrymans (they have a similar product)

Me - "I have a question about usage in a diesel engine. Is it safe to use in all diesel engines even though it contains alcohol? I've heard alcohol is bad for injection pumps."

Seafoam - "Sea Foam has 6 % by volume IPA and has been used in diesels for many years without any problems at all. The other oils in Sea Foam are cleaning and lubricating oil. There are no chemicals in Sea Foam and has been used in Diesel engines for decaids [sic]."

Berrymans - "The B12 Motor Tune-up is indeed safe for all diesel engines. The formula only contains a small percentage of alcohol and has been tried and tested with great success. I hope this answers your question, thank you for your interest in Berryman Products and have a great day."

I have been adding 2 cycle oil (200:1) for the past 5 or 6 tanks, even though I'd been using name-brand additives (My stash of Power Service, Howes, Stanadyne mostly).

Don't got a diesel, but will say, about half way through a tank of Seafoam in my 15 gallon tank, I noticed a performance increase....I noticed some smoke out the tail pipe when I slammed the gas pedal in the merge lane on the Hwy, and it kicked something loose I guess, cause it seemed peppier.

On my old Kia, it "tripped" a CEL temporarily though.....by the time I made it to Advance to get the code checked, the light went out....lol. My father told me it must have blew some carbon loose that choked up the O2 sensor momentarily....and the "italian tune up" in the acceleration/merge lane on the highway must have gave it the "oomph!" that cleared it up cause the CEL went out....

Funny, cause a similar instance occured with Chevron Techron Concentrate in another vehicle
smile.gif

For everyone's viewing pleasure, I am very closing to having the lubricity of Seafoam lab tested when used with diesel fuel. This is not cheap but I'm curious
smile.gif

Thanks Bob: Please report back with your findings... I use Seafoam 2 times a yr in my other 2 gasoline autos... I was never brave enough to pour it in the tank of my Powerstroke.

I had Seafoam tested at an accredited national lab and it does not appear to always add lubricity to all pump diesel fuel.

Originally Posted By: ahoier
Don't got a diesel, but will say, about half way through a tank of Seafoam in my 15 gallon tank, I noticed a performance increase....I noticed some smoke out the tail pipe when I slammed the gas pedal in the merge lane on the Hwy, and it kicked something loose I guess, cause it seemed peppier.

On my old Kia, it "tripped" a CEL temporarily though.....by the time I made it to Advance to get the code checked, the light went out....lol. My father told me it must have blew some carbon loose that choked up the O2 sensor momentarily....and the "italian tune up" in the acceleration/merge lane on the highway must have gave it the "oomph!" that cleared it up cause the CEL went out....

Funny, cause a similar instance occured with Chevron Techron Concentrate in another vehicle
smile.gif

It works in my Camry but not in the 6.5L Turbo Diesel. Just FYI, diesel fuel and gasoline fuel is different chemically. The only similarity is that they are both fuel.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JMJNet
Wow, that is a revelation!!!

Thanks for proving it scientifically.

It's not conclusive though. I may have it re-tested with refinery fuel, pre-pump....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back