Nissan Warranty Approved Synthetic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to put synthetic in my brother's 10 altima coupe which synthetic oil does nissan use or does not void the warranty?

Thanks Guys

Per the Owner's Manual: API Service SM, SAE 5W-30, Energy Conserving

I've run Valvoline SynPower, Castrol EDGE, and am now running Pennzoil Ultra.

Quaker State Ultimate Durability, Pennzoil Platinum, Mobil 1, Castrol Syntec, and many others are perfectly suitable too.

i use castrol edge 5w30 in my nissan titan i would not wory about any waranty as long as the synthetic that you use meets the latest specs and if you are still woried get them too give you a printout saying synthetic will void youre waranty that will shut them up

My Nissan dealer uses Kendall GT-1 Full synthetic for their $49.99 OC and Kedall GT-1 Synthetic blend for their $32.99 OC. Thanks, but I think I'll be doing my own when the time comes.

Nissan (or any manufacturer for that matter) cannot void any portion of your warranty because you use a different oil. (There is an exception, and that is if they give you the oil for FREE they can say you have to use it. But that's not the case here.) As long as it's given the API rating in your owners manual (or better). Even if it doesn't have the rating (i.e. AMSOIL) they have to show the fault was related to a lubrication failure. This is part of the Magnuson-Moss Act. The dealer should know this. It's been a non-issue for 20+ years.

On short, any synthetic on the market today will not void your warranty. SynPower (my favorite), Pennzoil Plat (fast becoming my favorite) , M1, Castrol, all good choices.

Last edited:
Nissan only suggest waiting about 20,000 miles before using synthetic. at least 10k miles on conventional oil is needed for everything to break in the best.

I ran Castrol GTX for 30k
switched to Mobil 1
switched to Mobil 1 EP

have at least 2 changes left of that
ordered Mobil 0w-40

now during warranty I did oil change intervals of the maximum allowed by Nissan 7500 on Synthetic. I will continue to do so since the VQ35 is tough on oil. I ran the Castrol for 5000 mile intervals.

about warranty: http://forums.maxima.org/2554454-post4.html

if your engine failed, Nissan could only void your warranty if they could prove your allowed too many miles between changes or used unapproved oil weights. Not sure if 0w-40 is acceptable, but my extended warranty is about up.

Originally Posted By: NismoMax80
Nissan only suggest waiting about 20,000 miles before using synthetic. at least 10k miles on conventional oil is needed for everything to break in the best.

Please show us where Nissan suggests this.

You can switch to synthetic any time you want. Do do not need to run dino for 10K for things to break in properly. And you do not need to wait until 20K before using synthetic. Use a properly spec'd oil and change it at intervals that are appropriate for the type of oil being used and the type of driving you do.

To the best of my information, Nissan does not state ANY mileage requirements before synthetic oil may be used. Please point us to the written word OR was it stated by some self appointed expert somewhere?

Last edited:
Can't believe the anti synth for break-in [censored] is still being propagated.

Can't beat the Internet for pushing baloney.

Originally Posted By: NismoMax80

Quite funny to read that kind of stuff when it is known that Nissan uses synthetic oil as FF.
After the synthetic FF, I only used synthetic oils on 7500 miles and for what I remember (UOAs posted here if you want to look at them), the max Iron I got was below 15ppm for the OCIs.
Of course, my engine looks spanking clean through the fill hole.

Waiting for syn? That is complete [censored]. Since the 90's when manufacturers changed all the filter composite materials, syns have been fine too use from the first mile.

At the first oil change (3000 miles)on my 2007 Nissan Frontier 4.0 I used M1 synthetic. 35000 miles later and no trouble.I've done the same thing with countless cars and motorcycles (JASO MA oil of course)with great results and NO ill effects.

I never said Nissan stated, if they did I would post it. SUGGEST. When I bought my car new in 2004 several service managers and calling Nissan directly suggested this. Manufacturers also state 3750 severe and 7500 OCI.

This was also speaking with highly experienced mechanic friends and relatives that are pro synthetic.

The GTR did not exist yet. Nissan hadn't quite offered synthetic at all dealerships.

So I guess people have forgotten how synthetic can appear to cause leaks in older cars but escaping the aged/worn seals either buy cleaning away or because of the higher lubricity.

Everyone agrees that the tolerances are so near perfect for all new cars that you can do extended OCIs immediately since there is absolutely no break in period anymore??? No need to run the 1st few oil changes 1000 or 3000 miles because synthetic is perfect. What's wrong with 3 dino oil changes to do short OCIs to remove possible break in particulate?

If we were talking about a Nissan GTR or Corvette or whatever else high performing, highly designed vehicle with FF...

No we are talking about Altimas and Maximas.

Yes being on BOITOG has made us all superior engineers and we can just ignore the people that work on and design cars. Let's start with 0 weight synthetics from mile 1 and run it for 10k+ before changing.

Back to the OP, put any properly spec'd name brand synthetic in your brother's 2010 Altima Coupe and don't worry about the nonsense discussed above.

Which engine does his car have? The 4-cylinder QR25DE or the V6 VQ35?

I have the 4-cylinder QR25DE and as I mentioned in my earlier reply, I've used 5W-30 Valvoline SynPower, Castrol EDGE, and (currently) Pennzoil Ultra and it seems to like them all just fine. The factory fill came out at 4K miles and I've been doing 6K intervals since. I should have a Blackstone UOA showing up soon for the Castrol EDGE that I ran 6K and drained last weekend. Once it's in, I'll post it in the UOA section.

Originally Posted By: barlowc
Per the Owner's Manual: API Service SM, SAE 5W-30, Energy Conserving

This is the best advice. Just meet the specs and use any synthetic that meets that spec to your pleasing. You have plenty of choices with a API SM rating, 5w30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back