Electric log splitters...Any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone used an electric log splitter? Looking at one for $200 and it is a 4 ton unit. I think the gas ones are 20 ton. I suspect it will handle anything except the larger pieces with the branches (knots)

I would like to hear from anyone who has used one before I buy...

Yardworks, likely from china.

I use an axe as well, and only split 2-3 face cords, but for $200??

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/2/OutdoorLiving/PowerEquipment/LogsplittersChippersShredders/PRD~0603823P/Yardworks%252B4-Ton%252BLog%252BSplitter.jsp?locale=en

How can I turn on HTML??

Last edited:
When we need to split wood we just rent a gas splitter from the local HD. It's inexpensive and they're easy to use. I'd suggest getting a vertical unit though, either way.

There was an electric over hydraulic wood splitter left in my basement by the previous homeowner. I do not remember the brand name, but it worked excellent. The man that bought it from me really likes it.

I bought a 7-ton Powerhouse(China) off E-bay in Mar.'08' for $230 + $90 shipping (sucker is heavy). Have been suprisingly very satisfied with it. Splits logs 20" long & 12" in diameter, but I've split logs up to 24" in diameter by offsetting the log on the splitter and splitting off side pieces a bit at a time. Instructions said not to run an extension cord over 35' and over 16 guage, but I run 75' of 12 guage 30amp extension cord to reach the edge of my garden where I do my splitting and have never had a problem. Only problem I had is sometimes when the log splits the unit will jump a little bit. Happened once and splitter quit, figured I'd busted it. Took it apart and found that ignorant assembler had made the power wire to the on switch too short. Stuck on a longer wire and was good to go. Don't think I'd want any smaller than 7-ton, and would have bought larger if I'd had the bucks. Porch where I stack the wood is narrow, so I keep all my logs 12" to 16", so the unit works great for me.

Me and a neighbor used to go half on a rental gas one and split a whole bunch of wood - enough to last a few years every once in awhile. Worked well and no upkeep costs.

I was reading where a guy replaced a gas 5hp motor with an electric one, probably 20 amp, 120v, maybe 1.5 hp? Whatever the max is on a socket. Anyway he was very pleased that the electric motor kept up with the gas one, but he could hear all the other racket the machine made and the gas engine covered them up.

HF has a 4 ton splitter that's a frame and a bottle jack with an axe head on it. Looks slow but might be a good thing for a retired guy or that tough knot.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
I've never seen an electric log splitter. Who makes them? I always just used an axe.

And here I thought that you just stared at the log until it gave up and split itself!?
lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back