fuel filter / using top tier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
I've only used top tier fuels over the past 30k on my dodge caravan. The fuel filter was replaced back then. How necessary is it to replace the fuel filter these days using top tier fuels? Do any of you ever replace yours? If so, how often? If not, do you ever notice any issues?

This is really dependent on how often the filters at the pumps are changed.

The Mobil station by my home is a clean source, I cut open the filter after replacing the pump last night. Had 35K, some dark staining from small particulate but otherwise a clean element.

When I winterized the boat last weekend (get fuel by the lake) and opened up the filter I found a surprising amount of sand in the elements.

I bet most of the dirt that gets in your fuel does so when you're fueling, dust around the cap, that sort of thing.

Fuel filter has nothing to do with detergency of top tier fuels. It has to do with junk in the tank at the station and your vehicle.

Lots of folks don't do it often, and if buying gas from good places, it may not be an issue anyway. But I don't associate top tier with fuel filter changeout timeframe.

Does the OM give an interval?

Top tier? No one polices this - it's bogus. Our Local Shell "Top Tier" has the worst fuel in the area. Detergents wont help when the truckers cant do the math to get the E10 % correct.

Well 1 station is a great sample of the entire national network of gas stations i'm on-board. In general top-tier will provide a cleaner burning fuel. As with anything you can't watch it 24-7 and things will happen.

Originally Posted By: purelux
Well 1 station is a great sample of the entire national network of gas stations i'm on-board. In general top-tier will provide a cleaner burning fuel. As with anything you can't watch it 24-7 and things will happen.

Agreed...I think these stations have too much of a reputation at risk to not make sure their gas meets top tier specs. On the same token, I'm beginning to really wonder if the non-top tier locations meet the spec as well given the standards gasoline has to meet these days.

Change your fuel filter at the recommended interval or more frequently especially if you notice any power loss or poor fuel economy. Now that my vehicle is getting older I find the fuel filter needs to be changed more frequently.

Top tier fuel is just marketing. In many cases stations owned by large corporations will follow the state and local laws for testing their tanks and equipment more strictly than independents. Bottom line nobody wants crud in their fuel tanks because it will cost them money. If you are worried about dirty tanks then buy from the newest station in your area.

Just change the fuel filter as per your maintenance schedule/owners manual...it really shouldn't get "that" dirty as long as you aren't fueling up in windy/dusty/rainy conditions :p Unless you get vandals that put contaminants in the tank (like my 88 aries...lol. No locking fuel cap or "secured" fuel door......just pops open from the outside.....).

The gas pumps are "supposed" to have filters on the hoses or something to catch any debris as well.....

Most of the dirt/debris that plugged fuel filters 10-20+ years ago came from rust in the fuel tank. Most fuel tanks are now made from plastic and do not rust. All gas stations are suppose to have a fuel filter on each pump. You should be able to see the filter on the side of the pump or near it. Some stations have the filters inside a building or on the side of the building.

The fuel filter is suppose to protect the injectors from getting plugged with dirt. A plugged filter can cause the fuel pump to overheat and burnout. A fuel filter is cheap insurance against a damaged fuel pump or injectors. The more times you change your filter the better it is for your fuel pump.

I use to change my fuel filter every year or 10,000 miles. They were cheap, and the filter was easy to get at. Now I change the filter every 2 years. I blow into the used filter to see if it is plugged. I have not noticed any restrictions in the used filters. I personally would not wait 50k to 100k to change the fuel filter unless it was hard to get at (in the tank).

Originally Posted By: Loobed

I personally would not wait 50k to 100k to change the fuel filter unless it was hard to get at (in the tank).

That may not be bad advice, especially for higher mileage vehicles, as crud accumulates in the bottom of every vehicles gas tank (which is why it is a good habit to refill your tank at half rather than waiting til its nearly out, so you don't suck up crud in to the fuel filter).

In fact, if you wanted to get super-anal about it, you might want to wait a few minutes after you fuel up before you drive, as the crud gets stirred up by the flowing of gas into your tank. Let it settle out, then go.

I used to work at a gas station when I was a teenager. Afer every delivery, we would keep the station shut down for 15 minutes to allow the crud and water to settle to the bottom of the storage tanks.

Most modern stations do not do this. Moral of the story: DO NOT get gas during a delivery or immediately thereafter. That's when any crud/water in the storage tanks is mixed up and ciculating above the suction lines.

Yes, but the pumps have filters, and the tanks are made out of a plastic material of some sort....would that prevent water from getting in the gas due to condensation?

Plenty of cars running around out there with non serviceable fuel filters, as in, they're in the tank.

I've got 220k miles on a Honda civic that has never had a fuel filter replaced. So I wouldn't loose any sleep over not changing it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Mark72
Yes, but the pumps have filters, and the tanks are made out of a plastic material of some sort....would that prevent water from getting in the gas due to condensation?

New underground tanks are made from fiberglass. Very little moisture gets into the storage tank on stations equipped with vapor-recovery systems.

I'd change it on a new-to-me car, or if it looks like a cheap aftermarket part. The cheap aftermarket filter I got for a steal for the Buick started restricting after 15k miles. It was replaced with a more expensive one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back