Where does Kroger get their gas supply from ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good evening everyone,

Today I went to my local Kroger Fuel Center in Fort Worth, Texas and filled up with Premium 93 octane. I saw the tanker truck there which said Gerondyke Transportation Oklahoma. I research the name and it showed up as a trucking company. My question is does Kroger get their fuel supply from Shell directly for their Texas market or do they recieve their fuels from an Independent company? Thanks for the replies. Peace !!!
34.gif

Gasoline is a commodity. Each brand adds their own proprietary additives (the things that make a brand a brand) at terminals, owned by the big oil companies. IE, in one area, one company has a refinery, the gas refined there is sent via pipelines to terminals, where the other companies add their proprietary additives to create their own brand.

Groendyke is one of the bigger bulk trucking companies in the midwest - they are big here in Colorado. They transport everything from gasoline to asphalt. They essentially have no relation to the brand of gasoline delivered, only that they are the company that delivers it.

So the answer to your question is, it depends! Valero owns some large refineries in my area and we also have gas pipelines to terminals from the TX gulf coast.

I've come to the conclusion that gas is gas. I've seen the same Groendyke tanker with the same driver deliver at a multitude of retail outlets in my area, which tells me the gas comes from the same terminal in Fountain, CO. Each brand adds their own additives at the terminal rack.

If you want to ask the drivers about this, ask them at the truckers report.

Last edited:
I ask the manager at the Kroger here and he said that Kroger goes out for a bid and the lowest bidder gets the contract. They use a trucking firm in the area. I have worked for 2 different oil and gas companies and we always had to be competitive but still make a profit. It is common practice for companies to go out for bids and one year the gas is one brand and the next year a different one. The additive package is slightly different and so if you find one you prefer it is best to go with a branded gas.

The gasoline distributed in the Dallas Fort Worth area likely comes from one of the refineries along the Texas gulf coast. For example, the Exxon Mobil refinery in Baytown is the largest in the country. Exxon Mobil also operates their own pipeline from Baytown to a terminal in Irving.

http://www.eia.doe.gov/neic/rankings/refineries.htm
http://www.exxonmobilpipeline.com/Images/EMPCo/750xV_TexasProd.jpg

BP, Valero, Conoco Philips, and others also operate refineries along the gulf coast and operate their own pipelines or contract with other pipeline owners to move their product.

I noticed here in houston that their gas ads around the highway shows a shell logo right next to theirs, same size logo and all. Give the impression that it's shell gas. I use E85, which is supplied by verasun.

I wonder what king of cleaning additives they use with that? :-/

When I was in Knoxville, Kroger had their own refueling plazas that were refilled by local, independent gasoline suppliers. Here in Virginia Beach, there are no Kroger refueling plazas so Kroger has entered into an agreement for discounted Shell gasoline at participating dealers.

I've been using my Kroger Plus card at my Local Shell station the last couple of fill ups. When you insert the card, the price drops $0.10 on all grades. then I use my Shell MC for payment and I get anothe 5% off on my credit card bill (fuel purchases). I'm not complaining at all.

Originally Posted By: rshaw125
Here in NC it all comes out if the same pipeline. The terminal is just off I-95. Here gas is gas.

Of course, gas is gas everywhere in the US, according to EPA laws. Base gas is a commodity. You aren't buying base gas. You are buying blended gas.

It is the additives that prevent carbon buildup and the cleanliness of the station's tanks.

i am not a fuel expert, i just play one on tv, lol. i dont remember where i got this info, but it was a trusted source. gasoline is blended for what the temps are expended to be for the next 2 weeks. and the fuel blended for Denver is different than for Wichita. not unlike blending for air craft. its all driven by temps, and altitudes. please note i didnt say anything about govenment regs, cause i dont know anything about them.

Originally Posted By: ffracer
Here in NC it all comes out if the same pipeline. The terminal is just off I-95. Here gas is gas.

Of course, gas is gas everywhere in the US, according to EPA laws. Base gas is a commodity. You aren't buying base gas. You are buying blended gas.

It is the additives that prevent carbon buildup and the cleanliness of the station's tanks.

Certainly. But after trying all the different stations 'same gas' I could not find any noticeable difference. I settled on Costco. The cheapest.

Kroger gas is a top tier gasoline. They are following the standards developed by the four automobile manufacturers (BMW, General Motors, Honda, and Toyota) for Top Tier Detergent Gasoline.

You can look up all retailers that meet the top tier standards by visiting the top tier gas website. Kroger's gas stations go by the name of Turkey Hill

http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html

Maybe I missed it but I didn't see Kroger listed. Are they spec'ing top tier gas in their bid proposals?

Not trying to argue. I use their gas in my Ranger but haven't (yet) in my Accord. I live in the Atlanta area.

Certainly. But after trying all the different stations 'same gas' I could not find any noticeable difference. I settled on Costco. The cheapest.

OK then who makes Costco gasoline???

Durango

Quote:
I ask the manager at the Kroger here and he said that Kroger goes out for a bid and the lowest bidder gets the contract. They use a trucking firm in the area. I have worked for 2 different oil and gas companies and we always had to be competitive but still make a profit. It is common practice for companies to go out for bids and one year the gas is one brand and the next year a different one. The additive package is slightly different and so if you find one you prefer it is best to go with a branded gas.
- hr1940 (#2038166 - 10/05/10 11:52 PM)

Really??? "Kroger" the store or "Kroger" corporate? So they're just hoping you'll *assume* they use Shell (a Top Tier brand), since Shell offers discounts with a Kroger card???

I'd like someone with firsthand knowledge. Looks can be deceiving like how people think multiple brands use the same gas, just because they see different brands' trucks in the same line at the refinery / distributor. Someone who works there said that there are electronically controlled valves that dispense different gas per truck even though it comes out the same hose.

Don't pick a fight with the site owner over a seven year old thread, and I also believe her comments to be correct.

Quote:
Don't pick a fight with the site owner over a seven year old thread, and I also believe her comments to be correct.

@L_Sludger: Are you talking to me??? If so, how in the world are you deducing that I'm trying to "pick a fight"?!? I'm asking a serious question. I'm not questioning who or what hr1940 claimed he/she asked or claimed to have heard in response, I'm questioning the credibility / accuracy of what his/her source said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back