Honda Blue Coolant - UOA Markers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there anything peculiar about this coolant I should look for in a UOA. I am concerned my lab might miss a coolant in the oil issue because Honda Blue coolant (from a MY2009 Honda) is different enough from regular green or Dexcool.

Can anyone give me any feedback on that point?

Wife's Odyssey has lost ~1.5 qts in the last 25k kms (15k miles). It also lost that amount in the first 10k kms(6k miles). I'm going to UOA to check for coolant in the oil.

Uh.........that's not good. I have owned three Honda's: Civic, CR-V and newer Pilot. None ever did/are burning/losing coolant. Keep us posted.

Only thing I can think of is the usual suspect, elevated Potassium and Sodium. This may also contribute to higher wear metals. Hope you don't have this issue!

You would look for sodium and potassium. Honda coolant like all other coolants has one or both of those elements. I think Hondas can use a quart or so of coolant. They typically use downflow radiators and non-pressurized reservoirs both of which cause a higher coolant loss.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
You would look for sodium and potassium. Honda coolant like all other coolants has one or both of those elements. I think Hondas can use a quart or so of coolant. They typically use downflow radiators and non-pressurized reservoirs both of which cause a higher coolant loss.

Thanks. I hope you're right!

Thanks guys. I am using a garden variety shell 5w-20 in this van so it shouldn't have any false sodium hits like some mobil products.

any uoa i have sent in has asked what coolant is being used, so if whoever does your uoa doesn't ask, make sure you make a note somewhere on the form

Jim, here's the results for my coolant analysis done in 2006:

Honda OEM 50/50 ethylene glycol/blue Na 610 ppm K 7480 ppm

It looks like Potassium will be a positive marker.

Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back