Tubes in radial tires??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just looking for the contemporary thought on running tubes in radial tires? I just purchased a nice 'looking" set of Firestone AT 235/75R15 tires for my daughter's Explorer on CL. The guy was/is an A-hole and sold them to me with a hole in the edge of the tread on one tire and the other has two cuts in the tread that will not seal with a rope seal. I note and am thinking of trying the mushroom seals mentioned in other threads, but thought a tube might bring some extra insurance. Any input welcome.

It sounds like you are going to have to get tires.The hole in the tread isnt good and may seperate,that could be deadly,especially in an SUV.They are top heavy and can roll easier than a car and a tread seperation and or a blow out are very dangerous.I dont think that you should try the tubes in a radial and even if you did,that would not stop the tread from seperating.You need tires and these need to be thrown away or recycled.Dont use them whatever you do on a vehicle.

First, I wouldn't want my daughter to be driving on tires like you described. "2 cuts in the tread and Hole in the edge of the tread" tells me that these tires are DONE.

In answer your question though, a tube can always be used in any radial tire. However they do not contribute to the structural integrity of the tires and if the tires as damaged as you say I would only use them in low speed off road applications. *

* I am in no way suggesting that it will be ok to use tubes in these tires in order to use them in any vehicle to be driven on-road.

Last edited by a moderator:
Many Firestone tires in that size have been recalled due to catastrophic failure.

Remember the pictures of Explorers on their roofs? It was those tires. And now you want to put them back on an Explorer?

If you love your daughter, get rid of those tires and get something else.

You've lost that money, with very little to show for it.

You need to get a radial tire tube. It is designed to flex with the side walls of a radial tire. A radial tire side wall will rub a hole thru a regular innertube in about a day. I do not know if they are still available.

A radial tire can be repaired from the inside with a patch. A small puncture (not a gash) in the sidewall can also be repaired. Tire shops will say otherwise due either to ignorance or financial incentive to sell more tires.

This repair is safe as long as only one or 2 cords are damaged.

There is a guy here that repairs radial tire sidewall punctures. It takes a special patch and technique. He takes the tire into a room with closed door. So far he has a monopoly on those repairs.

Actually, I would never use Firestone radials. Take a look at the front tires of an 18 wheeler. You will see that they usually have Michelin's on the front wheels, even if they have [censored] everywhere else.

Gee...what problem could bad Firestone tires possibly cause when installed on a Ford Explorer?...'nuff said...forget those rags and get something else.

Thank You all! I think I will can them. The Firestone/Explorer tire problem was in my mind, but that was a dozen years ago and there have been no issues lately. These tires were made in '08 and I would have thought that problem solved. I will look for another pair. Thanks again

The Firestone/Explorer rollover issue was partly/mostly an issue of pressure. The spec-ed pressure was fairly low, leaving little margin for error. Thus, the pressure got low due to careless owners, tires overheat, tires fail, Exploder flips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back