Holster for Ruger LCR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone explain to me what types of holsters (and the reason for such) are out there for a Ruger LCR (w/Crimson laser grip)? I am new to concealed carry and am not familiar with what a 'paddle' holster is for....nor do I grasp the advantages of an inside the pant holster/outside the pant/or pocket holster? I generally wear my shirts over the top of my pants. I don't like the idea of an ankle holster or an under the arm thing.....and I want fast access.
Please don't blast me for not doing a 'search'. I've done that and did get some info, but I prefer asking a specific question.
Thanks for any help.

Wear cargo pants and get a pocket holster for the LCR.

Works like a champ!

Paddle allows you to pick up the holster and slide the "paddle" inside your pants and the gun is on the outside.

Inside the waistband is just that. Better for CCW than on the belt.

Ankle is good for BUG but not much else IMO.

Take care, bill

From one CCW beginner to another: See if any local store sells all different types and try each one out. Even better if the store has a dummy gun to put in the holster for real effect.

Everyone settles on a preference, but only after trying out each kind.

Right now, I use a Don Hume IWB (inside waistband) leather holster for my PT145. I also have an OWB (outside waistband) that I'd like to use, but my daily dress is more form fitting than loose so this isn't an option.

If I could carry my PT145 in a pocket holster, I would, but the darn thing is so heavy that this isn't an option. One thing to remember about CCW is that if you have to use the restroom in a public place, that gun in the IWB or OWB holster needs to rest somewhere so it isn't visible from the stall cutout near the ground.

If you need a place to start, I'd simply get a cheap pocket holster and see how it feels for a week. The issue I see with pocket holsters is that each pair of pants is different, and this may not allow consistency in your quick draw (versus an IWB or OWB).

Lastly, a paddle holster basically has a form-fitting piece of plastic that slides inside the waistband and allows the holster to stay "rigid" and not slack inward or outward. This can be useful if your belt is not wide enough or stiff enough. The disadvantage of paddle holsters is the obvious bulk factor and how they typically aren't as close to the body due to set tolerances for pant thickness and belt thickness.

andrewg: I have the same weapon and same grips. Great outfit.

For me, no one holster works all the time. It all depends on your build and clothing. My DeSantis pocket holster works 75% of the time. Usually looks like you're carrying a wallet or a cell phone in your pocket. I can draw pretty quickly with that.

When I'm sure I'll be wearing a coat, I have a Don Hume J.I.T. Slide outside my belt. Holds the gun high and close to my body. My favorite, but doesn't work in summer for concealed carry.

Finally, an Uncle Mike's inside-the-waistband (IWB) holster. Nice holster but I hardly ever use it. I can't make the whole IWB concept work for me.

You will probably find yourself with a collection of different holsters before you're done. Concealed carry can be a pain in the neck.

Originally Posted By: Jason2007
The LCR fits J-frame holsters.

It fits SOME J-Frame holsters.

Originally Posted By: G-MAN
Originally Posted By: Jason2007
The LCR fits J-frame holsters.

It fits SOME J-Frame holsters.

I have not found any of my J frame holsters that it fits either. Way too tight.

Bill

I have varieties of holsters for each gun that I carry. It really depends on clothing and comfort.

I actually prefer to have my gun under my arm or on a belt holster when possible. Otherwise larger guns are usually inside the waist on the small of my back and smaller ones in pocket. Even once you choose to go with one particular choice of holster, you'll need to make several decisions on material, thumb break, etc.

I've never cared for ankle holsters. Something about having to bend over to pull out a gun doesn't really make me comfortable. Plus I get aggravated if anything pulls my socks down.

Whatever you choose - practice drawing and securing with the unloaded firearm until you do well with it not catching clothing or snagging.

Wow...thanks to all for the responses. Gave me some good info. I'll just find the store that has the most holsters and try each and every one that I like and pick up a couple. I really want the one that I can have fastest access to draw from in an emergency situation, and is comfortable and well hidden. The leather ones sure look of nice quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back