Radiator has no drain plug?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks to all who helped me out.
thumbsup2.gif

Everything went smoothly yesterday. Those spring clamps are alot tougher to get off than I expected. A large pair of vise grips made it a bit easier than pliers. I reused them instead of switching to screw types. With the clamping force those things have, I don't anticipate any issues.

Obviously with pulling the lower hose, antifreeze somewhat went everywhere, even with a large catch pan. I managed to get about 9 quarts out though so I'm happy with the results.
banana2.gif

I compared the old Dexcool to the new and it looks pretty darn good. I changed it due to age, but I have little doubt that it could have gone longer. No traces of anything bad in the system or overflow reservoir.

My wife became my helper with the brake fluid flush (and later, washing the truck) and I managed to change out the wiper blades, apply Rain-X to all the windows, flush the PSF, and change the oil (I switched to PP!). I considered it my 50k mile service.

Thanks again for the suggestions and help!

Get yourself the tool for those spring clamps, Sears sells them. They'll make life easier next time. I'm glad the project went well!

with the remote head at the end of a cable is the best, but I did have to get the regular plier type when the head of the cable tool didn't fit into a space under the head on my wife's old Saturn.
My 98 Yukon had a radiator drain on the driver's side, but it darined onto the frame and made a disastrous mess. I ended up installing a Moroso drain into the lower hose. It's an aluminum tube with a draincock in the middle. You just cut the hose and install this with two clamps.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Get yourself the tool for those spring clamps, Sears sells them. They'll make life easier next time. I'm glad the project went well!

I've never heard of a spring clamp plier before. I'll check into it. Thanks for the tip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back