Need recommendation please for E85 Evo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello - I'll try to give as much information as possible to get the best recommendations.

* 2006 Mitsubishi Evo 9 2.0l turbo
* Factory manual says 10w30 API SL/CF. Factory fill was M1 10w30 Syn from Mitsubishi
* Amsoil 10w30 used since 300 miles
* Oil changed frequently because I swap turbos almost monthly haha (never sent into Blackstone unfortunately)
* I live in the Pacific Northwest
* 550whp stock block, 30psi
* Uprated cams/valve springs/retainers - 8200rpm rev limit
* E98 fuel (98% ethanol)
* I have no oil pressure #'s to share but the max oil temp I usually see is 90c (~200f) last I recall.
* Has oem oil cooler
* Car has 12k miles and only sees trips to work on Fridays and long freeway pulls during the wee hours making awesome Youtube videos. Trip durations are 1hr - 3hr max. Otherwise it’s a dyno queen.

I ran the factory fill Mobile 1 Syn 10w30 for 300 miles until I switched to Amsoil 10w30. My car now has 12k miles on it and doesn't eat much oil even after going 170 miles to the dyno, making 20 pulls, and driving 170 miles back home. Of course I get some blow-by in the catch can but nothing really disappears on the dipstick.

Should I just stick with Amsoil 10w30? Why change something that’s working? Or should I be looking at Amsoil 10w40 or maybe even the Dominator because of my E98 ethanol setup? Trying to get an extended drain period is not top of my list, neither is trying to save a few bucks, I just want something that helps keep my bearings & stock block happy.

Last edited:
^ I'm very curious why you run Royal Purple in the engine when you run Amsoil in the drivetrain?

Originally Posted By: boostedevo
^ I'm very curious why you run Royal Purple in the engine when you run Amsoil in the drivetrain?

Royal purple 15w40 is pretty cheap in the gallon containers. I say stick with what your using. Amsoil is good stuff.

And 550awhp on a stock bottom end? 30psi? Thought those blocks were only good for 400hp to the wheels. Pretty amazing. Love those evos, I wanted one but the GF said it looked like a ugly shark ahh they just don'tunderstand

Last edited:
I guess availability and cost. I get RP street oils for $5-$6 a quart,whereas Amsoil is in the $10-$12 a quart range,and the shipping is outrageous. If I could go to a local shop and buy it,I`d be all over it. Plus,RP doesn`t make a dedicated manual tranny GL4 gear oil. I`ve tried their Max Gear and my tranny didn`t like it at all. MT90 and MTG were a close tie. I`ve been VERY happy with the MTG. I`ve been using it for about two years now. Cured a 1>2 gear crunch :^) I think the FM`s in the Max Gear aren`t synchro-friendly,at least in my case.

Originally Posted By: finalyzd
Royal purple 15w40 is pretty cheap in the gallon containers.

^^That`s what I`m using now. RP seems to be my engine`s "favorite" oil. Soooooooooooo smooth and quiet! As soon as my Blackstone kit arrives,I`ll be doing my first ever UOA (with my last fill of RP 20W50).

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm

^^That`s what I`m using now. RP seems to be my engine`s "favorite" oil. Soooooooooooo smooth and quiet! As soon as my Blackstone kit arrives,I`ll be doing my first ever UOA (with my last fill of RP 20W50).

How many miles on your 300zx? And I'm tempted to try redline 0w40. Supposedly vq like 40wts...

with 550whp and big arse turbos, i'd jump up ot a XXw40, tad thicker, the turbo heat will thin it out to a 30 grade so it should still stay in spec.

lots of STi guys love the shell rotella T6 full synthetic 5w40, theres a bunch of UOA's on here for it too. you can get it at alot of walmarts for about $20/gallon (4qt not a 5qt jug) or try pennzoil ultra, castrol edge.

honestly without sending something to blackstone there isnt much to tell, amsoil is a great oil already. i'd still experiment by bumping up the grade to an XXw40 though and report back on how it works.

How many miles on your 300zx? And I'm tempted to try redline 0w40. Supposedly vq like 40wts...

I just hit 65,000.

I've heard that there can be unique corrosion issues related to running high doses of E85 (is yours a E85 OK engine?). Ford was cutting OCI from 6 to 3K for E85 or something. Chevron was saying to cut OCI in half due to rapid increase in TAN. Can't put my hands on this info.

It's not labeled as an E85 engine but people have been running ethanol in the 4G63 since 2007, at least from what info is gathered on evolutionm.net. I've only seen a handful of Blackstone reports/posts from E85 Evos and they seem OK at ~3k miles. I agree with cutting the OCI in half though just to be safe, especially because my E98 sits for a few months & I read of water contamination, which can produce engine wear through corrosive formic acid in the combustion process. If anyone knows of oil that has acid neutralizer additives it would be sweet.

I'm leaning towards the XXw40 as suggested above on the next fill. And actually sending something of the the lab!

No expert but I'd run the analysis and see what kind of TBN values you are getting at your intervals. The Amsoil may be working just fine for you.

Mobil recommends using there TDT for E85 applications. What I've seen from reports the Pennz Ultra has a large TBN that holds very well.

From the Mobil site:

Question:
Which Motor Oil Is Best for Engines Using E85 Fuel
I am using E85 fuel in a converted Honda engine originally not designed for its use. One of the primary concerns of this is the formic acid created in the event of water contamination of the fuel. I have always used Mobil 1 5W-20, but am wondering if Mobil Clean or Extended Performance would be a better choice for me. What Mobil oil has the greatest amount of acid neutralizers in it?
-- Andrew Champion, Frisco, CO

Answer:
We recommend you use a heavy duty diesel product if you want additional acid neutralizer. We recommend you try Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40 as it is based on HD diesel technology, which contains additional over-based detergents for acid neutralization.

Nice car

Last edited:
all oils have additives to neutralize the acids to a certain degree, this is when the TBN (total base number) comes into play. if you read around the UOA section enough you'll hear that when the TAN (total acid number) exceeds the TBN then the oil has passed its useful life interval and needs to be changed.

an HDEO (heavy duty engine oil) such as shell rotella 5w40 would be good for this. thick enough to protect everything even if the oil and fuel dilution thins it out a tad, and its a highly respected oil among the turbo sti guys. its worth a shot in the evo.

edit: gomes512 beat me to it by 42 seconds, arg!

Last edited:
I am a fellow Evo 9 Owner, and although I have not ran E85 (not available in my area) I did run meth/water injection for a bit. The RP XPR 10/40 is perfect for this application since it was formulated to be used with methanol and race fuels. Evo's run very rich and the oil gets contaminated pretty quickly. Having an oil that can hold up to the fuel contamination is a huge plus. Currently I am not running meth any longer, so I am back to my Mobil 1 10/30 EP. Since switching back, spool up is better, and MPG's have gone up on average 3mpg. Not a big thing in an Evo where HP and TQ are what we are really after, but still. My car is making about 360 at the wheels on pump 91 on a dyno jet and 310 HP on the Mustang dyno on a stock block and turbo. Yes, gotta love the Evo
smile.gif

Last edited:
I guess availability and cost. I get RP street oils for $5-$6 a quart,whereas Amsoil is in the $10-$12 a quart range,and the shipping is outrageous. If I could go to a local shop and buy it,I`d be all over it. Plus,RP doesn`t make a dedicated manual tranny GL4 gear oil. I`ve tried their Max Gear and my tranny didn`t like it at all. MT90 and MTG were a close tie. I`ve been VERY happy with the MTG. I`ve been using it for about two years now. Cured a 1>2 gear crunch :^) I think the FM`s in the Max Gear aren`t synchro-friendly,at least in my case.

In the back of the RP catalog, it has a matrix list. Basically it shows which product to use via what your car calls for. I run FM XT-M5-QS Honey in my GL-4 rated 75w90 tranny and RP shows to run their regualar 10w40 oil oddly enough. I don't know how this works out right to be honest, but if you are wanting to run RP, take a look in their catalog in the back for a cross reference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back