Castrol Syntec 5w-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

I just joined but have been doing lots of research on here. I own a 2007 honda accord v6 with 50k on the clock. I recently switched over to synthetic oil, giving castrol syntec 5w-20 a try, as seeing this is what a local dealer uses (not a fan of mobil 1, but that is another story)

I've only gone a few hundred miles since the change, and have some questions. The car seems to have a little more valve train noise than before with the regular oil. Is this because it is a thinner oil? It does seem to run *a little* smoother, and may have a little more "get up and go" to it, but that could be my imagination. My concern is the valve train noise. now, this difference is minor, but noticeable. Fuel mileage looks to be about the same as before, maybe slightly less due to minor changes in driving patterns. Has anyone had any issues with this oil in hondas, or any other vehicle for that matter? Or am i just being paranoid? I may try valvoline synpower after this depending on what you guys say.

I know you guys rave about mobil 1 but as a technician i do not like mobil 1 based on what i see when i drain the oil. It comes out like sludge after 5k miles and some of the cars seem to show alot of valve train noise, most notably on GM models. But anyway, if castrol is not what is recommended, valvoline would probably be my next choice.

Last edited:
welcome2.gif
to BITOG

The Syntec should work well in your Honda. If you want to try another synthetic, try the Pennzoil Platinum, it works very well in Hondas.

What conventional oil were you using before the switch?

I was using a special blend 5w-20 oil made by dennis burke oil company. My shop gets this oil in 55 gallon drums.

should i be concerned about a little increased valve train noise?

Last edited:
Some synthetics seem to make more engine noise. Or rather, allow it to be perceived.
I think the consistent molecule size carries certain frequencies better than a mix of different sized molecules in the average dino.
But this is just a guess.
Plus, like you said, it is probably thinner.

I also have to remark: M1 causing sludge is a new one, even around here! I guess just like in baseball, records will be broken!

Thanks, i'll see how well the oil holds up throughout the OCI.

I can get pennzoil ultra or platinum for the same price as the syntec. Anyone think it is that much better of an oil? Or valvoline synpower?

And as far as the M1, its mostly the GM vehicles that it comes out BLACK. 5k miles and it looks toast. Plus, the increased engine noise is not something that appeals to me either. But, to each their own.

Last edited:
Depending on your OCI, either would be fine. Id tend to lean towards the PP for a longer interval.

I'm running Castrol Syntec 5w20 in my wifes mazda for 6 months and roughly 5K. It works great for this purpose, but Ive never felt comfortable cranking out lengthy extended drains with syntec. 5-6K is about my comfort limit for it.....no reason really.

Any particular preferences as far as PU to PP? Just curious.

Originally Posted By: mattd
I can get pennzoil ultra or platinum for the same price as the syntec. Anyone think it is that much better of an oil? Or valvoline synpower?

Get the pennzoil ultra! Especially if it's the same price as platinum

I use castrol syntec 5w-30 on my 2006 camry v6. It is the best. I hear good things about castrol syntec 5w 20 in honda engine like ridgeline, mdx.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back