Windshield Cleaning (Long Post)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mineral spirits should not cause any etching issue - just certain acids(like HCL). Plus etchants just take off a little layer at a time. I know thi sbecause my wife ruined a new sink and toilet and my Zippy the Pinhead coffee mug using her "home made vinegar cleaner" over a couple years.
- I just read that according to the MFG that WD-40 does not use silicone as an ingredient in the secret "recipe". Fooled me with that " silicone oil like substance that I can't wash off with soap and water after I lube my house (metal) window tracks". I think they are liars.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
I just did. Silicone etching glass is common knowledge.

Are you sure you're not confusing silicone with silicon? I don't believe silicone oils, greases or rubbers have any glass-etching properties. Silicates and silicon off course would etch - but that is not what would be in the lubricants (wouldn't be much of a lubricant if it etched).

I've yet to find anything that'll clean the inside of the windshield without streaking.

Originally Posted By: grampi
I've yet to find anything that'll clean the inside of the windshield without streaking.

I use this stuff called invisible glass and it works better than most.... on the inside of the glass.

Originally Posted By: kballowe
Originally Posted By: grampi

I use this stuff called invisible glass and it works better than most.... on the inside of the glass.

Used that with one of those Handi Dandi windshield cleaners with a micro fiber pad and still got streaking. Then a few days later got inside fogging/moisture on the inside because of the colder temps and used the Handi Dandy thing to remove the fog and this cleaned my windshield better than anything else so far, even removed the film that seems to smear on the glass. Might try it seeing as fall is upon us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back