Got a Marlin 336 today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been toying with getting a lever gun for awhile and when I found out yesterday that Academy had the Marlin 336 on sale for $353.00 I took the plunge. I don't think you can beat that price for an American made lever action.

Hopefully, I'll be able to take it to the range on Tuesday and see how it shoots.

Marlin336w-30-30.jpg

An American classic! You will enjoy it.

Did you know that they are made by Remington now?

Last edited:
I have the same gun but in stainless steel. Love it. Also have the .45-70 1895 lever gun. Killed a black bear and a boar with it. It is becoming my "go to" hunting rifle.

Originally Posted By: jhs914
An American classic! You will enjoy it.

Did you know that they are made by Remington now?
Remington makes Marlin products now?

Nice rifle, one of the last remaining American classics. Congrats! Did you get the .30-30 Win, or .35 Rem version? (do they even still chamber 'em for the .35 Rem?) Let us know how it shoots. Just don't expect those sub 1", 100 yard gunwriter groups with it.
wink.gif

Ps: Remington makes the Marlin 336 now???
54.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Remington now owns Marlin, but Marlin still makes Marlin firearms.

Great Choice. In my opinion there is no better woods rifle than the 336. You'll enjoy it, and may well be suprised by the accuracy. I have one from the 70's and it shoots great. Killed my first deer when I was 11 with it.. You can bet it will be staying in the safe! I also have the stainless 45-70 guide gun, and I've never seen anything that impressed me so much on deer.

The Marlin 336 is a fine lever action rifle. I prefer bolt action, but I have a Marlin Model 94 in .357. Great rifle, I love it. I also love my Marlin .22 auto with the 3 x 9 scope. I can drive nails with it, very accurate.

Marlin was purchased by Freedom Group (same owners of Remington).

The Marlin factory in North Haven, CT factory was closed last month and all 265 employees there were let go.

Originally Posted By: paulo57509
Marlin was purchased by Freedom Group (same owners of Remington).

The Marlin factory in North Haven, CT factory was closed last month and all 265 employees there were let go.

Yes, this is what happens when a state's policies make it impossible to run a business there. Thankfully, production of Marlin firearms will still remain in the U.S.

Have owned a 336 in .30-30 for 15 years (bought at K-mart for $229). Love it. Very nice rifle; good all around gun.

It will hunt anything of consequence in the mid-west where I live.

Originally Posted By: twentynine
Bought a 336 in 1981 for $126. Love the gun.

Bought a Marlin 336T (straight grip instead of pistol grip) in 30-30 for $88 in 1976. Still have it and is in perfect condition. I think the stock is real walnut too, unlike the new stuff.

Love the "mico-groove" rifling.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx
Originally Posted By: G-MAN
Remington now owns Marlin, but Marlin still makes Marlin firearms.
I didn't know that, when did that happen?

About 3 years ago.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: twentynine
Bought a 336 in 1981 for $126. Love the gun.

Bought a Marlin 336T (straight grip instead of pistol grip) in 30-30 for $88 in 1976. Still have it and is in perfect condition. I think the stock is real walnut too, unlike the new stuff.

Love the "mico-groove" rifling.
thumbsup2.gif

Not if you shoot lead bullets and want any accuracy. There was a reason why they stopped using the micro-groove and went to ballard. (Plus the Micro does lead worst)

I've got 2 Marlin 1894 CS .357, one with each rifling and big difference with the lead.

Take care, Bill

That is super nifty. The ergonomics and heft of those rifles makes them so quick and natural to point--totally great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back