Which car has the coldest AC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been pretty impressed with both of my current vehicles. I think the truck cools down quicker but that's due to the cab space, I'd guess. Outdoor temp. a few days ago was 103 with a heat advisory (108-115 was the "feel like" temp.). I don't know how I survived for 11 years driving w/o AC but I did. In a black truck, no less.

The manager of a diner where I go alot has complaining alot about his 08 Mazda [6] A/C...So my friend went out to his car tonight to test the temperature coming out of the vents...It read 73 degrees...It was around 78 degrees out at the time [raining] but extremely humid....Mazda told him he is going to have the live with it cause there is nothing wrong with it...He has had this car for 4 months now and it has always been this way...It has been to 2 different dealers about 10 times...With the temperatures in the 90's and the heat index of around 110 [the other day the heat index where he lived in Kendall was 120] makes that car is no fun to drive down here...He is going to try to make a deal this week on a 4 door F-150 he saw at the Ford dealer this morning.

Originally Posted By: CROWNVIC4LIFE
Originally Posted By: rudolphna
Well we can't exactly run them in the winter, can we? You live in Miami crownvic, I dunno if you've lived up north, but we kinda need to run the heat in the winter, lol. Besides, once it gets to a certain temperature outside, the A/C compressor is automatically kept off to prevent freezing up.

I have been living here for only 5 years...Before that I was in Queens New York...I used to leave the a/c on automatic all year long up there...In cars I didn't have the automatic postion I used to leave the a/c system on either the mix,bi-level or hi-low position...I think mix is the only one left for the winter in cars that do not have the automatic position...The compressor would come on often enough in one of those positions.

I never could figure out why General Motors dropped the bi-level position and Ford dropped the hi-low position...It was awesome for cars the did not have the automatic position for the winter and spring months.

We keep all are cars on the automatic position [76 degrees] all the time.
Seems leaving the A/C on aways makes the A/C system last longer.

Using the A/C periodically (at least once every week or 2, for 5 - 10 minutes), even when not needed can definitely be beneficial. It keeps the oil distributed through the system, etc.

The AC on my Festiva is pretty darn good. But I've had to bypass the evaporator temp switch eventually need to replace it. It'll freeze up if your not careful. I think if there's a way to adjust that switch it would greatly improve most AC's.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
The worst I have come across recently is in the Mazda 3. It's a really annoying flaw in an otherwise great car. Hopefully they resolved this with the latest redesign/update.

2010 Mazda 3's A/C works great.

From your recent thread, Mazda 3's a/c doesn't work good anymore
48.gif

if your ac isnt cold enough gegt some of that foam pipe wrap for hot water pipes at lowes, its about $1.65 for 6ft, and wwrap your ac lines under the hood. works well.

We have a 2006 Corolla and a 2007 ION. I would say the Corolla AC is definitely better than the ION's. The ION AC doesn't seem to get very cold and doesn't cool the car down very fast. It is hopeless on my very short commute.

The previous posters pipe wrap tip sounds kind of interesting. There is probably wrap specifically for home AC lines.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Lethal1ty17
if your ac isnt cold enough gegt some of that foam pipe wrap for hot water pipes at lowes, its about $1.65 for 6ft, and wwrap your ac lines under the hood. works well.

I heard people on the vibe forum doing that to get their a/c colder. isn't it a fire hazard though? wouldn't all OEM's do it if it worked?

To answer the original question: Any system charged with a zeotropic hydrocarbon refrigerant!! My goodness, that stuff in ANY system can get so cold it's almost uncomfortable!!

(Chloro)Fluorocarbons are pure GARBAGE in comparison.

Those retrofit kits sold in parts stores is the STUFF.

Originally Posted By: Lethal1ty17

Did this on the Escape. It does help it cool down quicker. I used the EDPM (rubber) pipe wrap from Lowe's also. That reminds me I need to do the 'stiva.

Originally Posted By: Eric Smith

I used the EDPM (rubber) pipe wrap from Lowe's also. That reminds me I need to do the 'stiva.

If you tint your windows [to the max law in your state] you might not have to...I have 15% all around and that made it cool down quicker even though it would cool a 7 room house even without the tint.

Originally Posted By: CROWNVIC4LIFE
Originally Posted By: Eric Smith

I used the EDPM (rubber) pipe wrap from Lowe's also. That reminds me I need to do the 'stiva.

If you tint your windows [to the max law in your state] you might not have to...I have 15% all around and that made it cool down quicker even though it would cool a 7 room house even without the tint.

Both are tinted. The Escape is fully tinted from the factory and as much as the wife will allow, I think 20 on all the rear windows none on the front and windshield. The 'stiva which is my car has 35 up front 20 in rear, still have to do the hatch glass, unfortunately can do the windshield no AS1 line. The Escape cools down fairly good but the 'stiva doesn't. I guess in retrospect it doesn't do to bad for a 20 year old 65hp 4 cyl car.

Originally Posted By: rslifkin
My Jeep has great A/C as well. Even in 85* weather after baking in the sun for a few hours with the windows cracked open, it cools down fast, and the vent temps are too cold to keep your and in front of within about 45 seconds of startup with the fan on max recirc. It's a black Jeep, black leather, factory tint on rear windows only.

Mom's 99 Grand Cherokee has good A/C too, as does my sister's 94 Camry. Dad's 05 Camry has decent A/C, but not as good as the others.

85*F huh? Around these parts that's what we call a crisp fall day. :)

Seriously, you should have to get over 100*F ambient to challenge a properly working modern A/C system.

I'd second the reply of the person that made the comment about the old Chrysler LH cars having good A/C. I have a 94 and the AC is the best I've ever had on a vehicle. It puts most new cars to shame. When it cycles on in humid weather, you often get fog out of the vents. It cools the black leather interior down to comfortable levels within about 5 minutes of starting, even in 90+ degree weather.

The only ones that I've ridden in that were as good or maybe better were the AC in a Buick Regal I had as a rental about 5 years ago, or the AC my buddy had on his 72 Chevy Impala when I was 17.

The worst: Pretty much any Volkswagen vehicle I've ever ridden in.

my 1992 Taurus with R12 blow ice cold.
with the switch bypassed to force the compressor to always engage the air temp out of the center vent read 17F. I used an IR thermometer, and honestly I don't believe the reading. BUT you will freeze in my car on a hot day.

I just had my Corolla vacuumed and recharged with Interdynamics Sub Zero "synthetic" (whatever that means) R134A. It is a freakin meat locker now with a lowest vent temp of about 42 degrees going down the road (standard dial thermometer with ambient temps in the 90s). With an infrared thermometer, it reads low 30s deep down into the center vent.

I was amazed when we were test driving BMW's, all identical year, etc; how much disparity their was from one car to the next. Some were meat lockers, others never cooled down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back