2000 Ford Mustang Oil Specs ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2000 Ford Mustang (100,000 miles) that the owners manual calls for 5w-30 oil. I now notice that it looks like ford has changed this to 5w-20?? Is this correct? If so why the change? Is this for both dino and synthetic? What benefit will I have to change to 5w-20 now? Thanks for the help!!!

C.A.F.E.

However, 5w-20's are very robust (pretty much have to be) regardless of dino or syn. Is your Mustang the 4.6 V8 or the 3.8 V6? In either case, providing you don't have a worn out engine, I think you'd be ok to try a short OCI of 5w-20, but watch consumption. Alot of people that switched to 5w-20 felt their engines ran better (mainly the 4.6, not sure of the V6). If it's all good then by all means, run it
grin.gif
. I ran MotorCraft 5w-20 and MotorCraft filters on my 02 Mustang V6 and 02 Escape 3.0 V6.

cheers.gif

bighead
Member # 6464

posted 11 August, 2006 01:54
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by JustinH:
I really wouldn't use a 5w20 in a pushrod 3.8L.

Stick with what your doing, 5w30.

The new Dogde Hemi is a 5.7L V8 pushrod, and it's spec'd for 5w-20. Why wouldn't you use it in the 3.8? Or is it because of the mileage?

And my Hemi loves it. As far as I can tell.

quote:

Originally posted by Dominic:
The Ford 3.8 really needs a 5W-30. You will gain nothing with a 20 in there.

Well...h*ll I'm wondering now if I had used 5w-30 in my Mustang with the 3.8 would it have ran better
frown.gif
...it never did seem to sound right when I drove it hard.....hmmm. A moot point since I no longer have it. Still, a man can ponder
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back