2010 Mazda 3 7500 OCI too much?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brand new car, brand new game plan.

The dealer pushes every 5000 miles but with my wife's driving 100 miles a day with 50% of those always highway I am staring to think the longer OCI in manual may be better.

Dealer uses Castrol 5w20, I plan on switching to AFE 0w20 mostly because when she is at work in the dead of winter the car will be outside. Rabbit turned in a 1F temp the one morning and she commented on how sluggish it was getting to the highway. It had synthetic in it so I attribute that to the transmission. Now that the Rabbit is gone and we got a new car, new plan.

I have a funny feeling it will be a very cold & long winter in these parts again haha. That as it may be I want the best cold start protection. I am even considering switching the Forester over to a 0w30 for my short trips to work.

SS in the manual is every 5k miles, normal is 7.5k for the 3.

If I am running a good synthetic I can't see why 7.5k isn't attainable. What say ye BITOG?

Follow the manual. Highway is a lot easier than city, so I think if you went like 7k using a good synthetic you should be fine. Any higher i'd def recommend getting a UOA so you don't go in blind and have problems down the road.

I run about 7k in our MZ6. Maintenance schedule for OC's is the same as your 3. I've run M1 and PP and haven't had any problems.

I wouldn't be as comfortable going that long on dino, though. Prolly 5k.

Run the SS achedule for at least the warranty period. Let the dealer do the changes, to document warranty compliance.

Originally Posted By: FZ1
Run the SS achedule for at least the warranty period. Let the dealer do the changes, to document warranty compliance.

X2

Originally Posted By: Thermo1223
Brand new car, brand new game plan.

The dealer pushes every 5000 miles but with my wife's driving 100 miles a day with 50% of those always highway I am staring to think the longer OCI in manual may be better.

Dealer uses Castrol 5w20, I plan on switching to AFE 0w20 mostly because when she is at work in the dead of winter the car will be outside. Rabbit turned in a 1F temp the one morning and she commented on how sluggish it was getting to the highway. It had synthetic in it so I attribute that to the transmission. Now that the Rabbit is gone and we got a new car, new plan.

I have a funny feeling it will be a very cold & long winter in these parts again haha. That as it may be I want the best cold start protection. I am even considering switching the Forester over to a 0w30 for my short trips to work.

SS in the manual is every 5k miles, normal is 7.5k for the 3.

If I am running a good synthetic I can't see why 7.5k isn't attainable. What say ye BITOG?

I like your plan, just don't go over 7.5k

They still are...with my oil just not SS.

I believe I was quoted around $15 for filter & labor.

Last edited:
Good. Staying in warranty compliance and promoting dealer goodwill to let them do all the work. $15 filter and labor is a steal of a deal. Good for you.

I was going to go the 7500 route in our Mazda5, but it's our only car; when I drive it, it's hwy, but when my wife has it, it's all local errands, so w/ this mix, I'm staying w/ the 5K changes. 5W20 dino at my local mechanic near my job. they use wolf's head I believe.

Originally Posted By: beast3300

X2
Why? Though I would follow the mfg recommended oil change interval. severe with dino ond the max with syn oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back