new serpentine belt and stretching?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found the problem. The pulley broke off the new alternator today and the belt came off sending water temps sky rocketing and of course no power steering to get it off the road easily.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
I found the problem. The pulley broke off the new alternator today and the belt came off sending water temps sky rocketing and of course no power steering to get it off the road easily.

Was it overtightened, or a defective alternator?

Originally Posted By: defektes
Originally Posted By: badtlc

Was it overtightened, or a defective alternator?

I don't know yet. Shop hasn't called me back yet. I'm guessing the pulley just wasn't attached very well as it was a progressing sound that got worse before the pulley broke off and the belt came off. When the alternator was first installed, everything sounded great. then this "loose" sound started developing day later and got louder until the catastrophic failure.

It is possible the new belt was too tight but I thought with an automatic tensioner that wouldn't be an issue.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: mechtech2

How did you clean the pulleys first? Oh, you didn't?

Mechtech, how do you clean the pulleys? I've got CRC belt dressing
all over mine and I want to get that stuff off before I install a new belt.

Try non chlorinated brake cleaner. That's what I've used to clean the pulleys on my car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back