5W-40 in a Nissan Maxima VQ35 oil burner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm currently using regular Pennzoil 10W-40 in my Nissan Maxima as it tends to use a quart of 5W-30 every 1k miles. Using 10W-40 has at least cut that number in half or more. The bad thing though is winter is coming and I'd rather not run 10W-40 during the cold months. My manual recommends 5W-30, 10W-30, or 10W-40. I'd like to try a newer 5W-40 oil and maybe keep the oil burning issue down with a better cold start flow for winter. I really can't see how this would be a problem but I thought I'd ask here for opinions.

Rotella T5 10w-30 semi-synthetic?

Give it a try and see if the oil burning issue continues. About $12 per jug at Wal-Mart.

How many miles on your 2002?

And can you find Max-Life full syn anywhere? That might be worth a try!

Originally Posted By: dkryan
Rotella T5 10w-30 semi-synthetic?

Give it a try and see if the oil burning issue continues. About $12 per jug at Wal-Mart.

How many miles on your 2002?

And can you find Max-Life full syn anywhere? That might be worth a try!

It has 103k on it now. When I bought it with 55k miles it was already using almost 1 quart per 1k miles though.

So, should you focus on correcting the reason it is "using" 1 quart per 1k miles, or use a specific oil to correct the "usage?"

Mobil 1 0w-40?

Castrol Syntec 0w-30? I used this oil in my VQ30DE (2001 I30) and not only is it a "thicker 30 weight," it, Maxlife full syn, and RLI SHP 10w30 HD were the only three oils that could stand up to 1.2 mile commutes each way during the winter months. Interpret that as "massive fuel dilution."

Good luck and let us know which oil you select and how the usage is with that oil.

Originally Posted By: kbohip72
I'm currently using regular Pennzoil 10W-40 in my Nissan Maxima as it tends to use a quart of 5W-30 every 1k miles. Using 10W-40 has at least cut that number in half or more. The bad thing though is winter is coming and I'd rather not run 10W-40 during the cold months. My manual recommends 5W-30, 10W-30, or 10W-40. I'd like to try a newer 5W-40 oil and maybe keep the oil burning issue down with a better cold start flow for winter. I really can't see how this would be a problem but I thought I'd ask here for opinions.

Go figure. A Nissan engine consuming oil

Originally Posted By: Johnny248
Originally Posted By: kbohip72

Go figure. A Nissan engine consuming oil

Yeah, weird!
I've never even owned a car that doesn't burn oil :D

2 Saturns, 2 VQ35's, an old 2.5L Chrysler, and a SOHC Neon. The Neon was the best for consumption about a quart over 5k MI.

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
Try Rotella 5W40 non synthetic... Why add syn if it uses so much? I run conventional in my '02 because of consumption.

Rotella 5w40 is "sythetic" grp III

Those recommending GC 0W-30 or Mobil 1 0W-40, could you elaborate why you think those are good choices for the VQ engine in this instance?

I'm trying to decide on a go-to oil for an '03 Maxima similar to OP's but with no oil burning issues. 65K miles, 5K mile OCIs.

Cold starting is #1 on your list! I see Colorado
When it's cold out, your consumption should be less anyway .
So go for a low first # with your oil.

I have a 2002 Nissan maxima vq35 swap in a 2002 sentra spec v, i feel your pain i opted for the Mobil 1 10w40 high-mileage try that and see what happens, i dont have experience with rotella yet

I have had good UOAs and no engine problems in 2 vq35's (both 6mt) and 3 vq30's (1 5mt) with M1 0w40. Manual transmission cars tend to be the oil burners. My current VQ has 105k on it, last UOA was posted here at 92k.

Mine all used about 1qt in 5-7k miles, so pretty low consumption given my driving style.

Originally Posted By: CBR.worm
Manual transmission cars tend to be the oil burners.

could you elaborate? ive never heard this and i cant imagine why.

+1 Lethal on the contrary i think that a automatic transmission would use more oil due to the parasitic drain on the motor. If you drive like a maniac with a standard transmission ie: myself
lol.gif
you're obviously putting more load on the motor and more oil is going to be expended over time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back