idea for chain maintenance

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok so for years I used all the different types of chain lube including dupont teflon stuff. For the last six months or so I have been cleaning my chain with plain old wd40 once a week which works out to about once every 250 miles. I have not been using any lube. I ran out of wd40 last week and decided to use some diesel fuel i had lying around. well last night i cleaned my chain and I noticed something strange....The chain was the cleanest I have ever come across. So clean I actually poured the container of "dirty" diesel that dripped off the chain back into the container!

The problem is that I have read and experienced that WD40 eats away at some O-rings, like the ones that probably seal your O-ring chain. Plus, WD40 doesn't provide much lubrication once it has evaporated like the Dupont stuff does. I use the Dupont Teflon Multi-Use Lubricant on my chain about every 600 miles and I've got close to 18,000 miles on my current chain.

Other than a little powder like surface rust I didnt really have any problems wd40 and I preferred it to any chain lube I ever used (including dupont btw) simply because it kept things clean (though not as clean as the straight diesel I used this last time.) I stopped using wd40 and have decided on a mix of diesel and a little mmo at around a 16:1 diesel to mmo ratio. So far I think im on to something because the chain links appear to be moving very freely and are looking VERY clean and o rings are still moist with the mixture. For what its worth, I think a properly adjusted clean chain is much better than one that is a little out of spec despite having gobs or sticky lube on them. I'm looking to replace the sprocket and gear on my bike anyway ( +1 on sprocket) so this is pretty much free experimenting at this point.

oh and my bike is a 2001 aprilia sl000 Falco with 34k miles that uses a 525 chain. After the exhaust eprom and derestriction mods it should be making around 120-130 hp with 70-80 torques so its not exactly easy on chains lol should be a good test.

The last chain driven bike that I put serious miles on was a 1977 Suzuki GS550 and I sold it with 25000 miles on the original chain and sprockets.

I used an old style oiler like this..
1029934733_RxZet-L.jpg

10w-40 left over from oil changes.

Originally Posted By: AuthorEditor
The problem is that I have read and experienced that WD40 eats away at some O-rings, like the ones that probably seal your O-ring chain. Plus, WD40 doesn't provide much lubrication once it has evaporated like the Dupont stuff does.

From all reports of user tests that I have come across, WD40 does not "eat" o-rings at all.... that seems to be an old myth. The WD40 website itself states that it is fine for rubber items. Different motorcycle forums have a number of motorcyclists who have used nothing but WD40 for 20k - 25k miles without problems. I read a post by one user, I forget the website, who deliberately soaked o-rings in WD40 for a month to see if there was any problems, and he found none.

But you make a good point about its lubricating properties. WD40 is a mild lubricant at best and does't seem to last long. OTOH, it seems to make a great cleaner. I think the topic of using WD40 exclusively for chain maintenance is up to user preference and experience. Some people seem to do fine by it, a lot of people don't like the idea. I have not read any reports of any motorcycle chain that had a definite problem related specifically to the use of WD40. Anybody with any concrete infomation, please chime in.

Vic

I cleaned the chain on the last bike I had with a chain with kerosene. Worked great; it was crusted with old dried lube of some kind (I got it used).
Used a special waxy chain lube; the solvent evaporated and left the lube behind. Forgot the brand.
But it was made for 'o' ring chains.

I bought a used dual purpose bike not too long ago, with a chain drive.

I looked up chain maintenance in the manual, and kerosene was the cleaner suggested.

So using diesel and getting good results is not surprising.

Kerosene/diesel both have been used as a cleaner for a long time for dirty vehicle parts.

Safer than gasoline by a long shot. lol

I have and currently use chain wax and synthetic 90 weight gear oil for lubrication on a sport tour bike (sold), a dual purpose bike, and a atv with good results.

Last edited:
WD40 is an excellent solvent but a poor lubricant. Sure, use it to clean a chain but then either coat it with your favorite spray lubricant or motor oil, then wipe dry. As good as spray lubricants are these days I see no need to go through the messy routine of kerosene/WD40 then soaking in oil. Just spray it on and let dry. I do strongly prefer the 'waxy' type lubricants to the 'tarry' ones as the former are much easier to clean up off your hands or overspray. Both seem to work well and IMHO it doesn't matter what you use so long as you lubricate the chain well and frequently.

I use nothing but WD-40 now. It works. I tried numerous chain lubes on other machines and saw no noticeable advantage over WD-40.

Keep the O-rings clean and they'll last as will the chain. I've got 20K on my KLR chain and it's only been adjusted twice. Once because it needed it (initial adjustment) and the other time was when I put the wheel back on after fixing a flat.

I've said it many times. Chain adjustment is more critical than what lube is used. Too tight a chain will lead to it's early demise.

Diesel is fine, kerosene is fine for cleaning. FWIW, I use two stroke oil in my ScottOiler. Considering the MSDS on my chosen oil shows 25% kerosene in the mix, and my chain and o-rings are fine after 20K, I say kerosene is benign to o-rings. boraticus is right, proper tension is more critical than the type of lube. "Too tight just ain't right". BTW, for that lube mess on your rear wheel, a Mr.Clean Magic Eraser works the best for me.

Last edited:
I've used wd40 on chains and no wd40 on chains for cleaning, it makes absulutely no difference on chain life.

What does make a difference is HOt sprays, this is when the chain is high at temperature, wd40 will aide what ever lube your running past the orings. Cause it normally dries out over time.

Nothing on the market for the street is better than Motorex strong street Green can, not available in california. This stuff kills sprocket wear.

I run 90 to 130 all the time, without these methods my chains wont even last 9,000 mile

the powered teflon is nothing but a joke , but it is clean

http://syntheticlubricants.aerospacelubr...;prodid=3001057

Alisyn synthetic chain lube, this is the best stuff I've tried yet for getting a chain to last a long time. Dirt will not stick to it, no need for kerosene.

Its not perfect as it will fling a bit when first put on, a little goes a LONG WAY with this stuff and you have to wipe the extra off after it sets up. I spray a very light coat on the inside of a hot chain and wipe it in the morning.

Its hard to find it in the Alisyn can but from what Aerospace Lubricants told me in an E-mail if you go to Lowes and pick up some "Genie Universal Synthetic Garage Door Lube" it is the same stuff in the same can with the funky looking trigger. The last can of it I got at Lowes is blue/white.

These guys also make some interesting oils that nobody ever talks about on here.

"O" ring roller chain is lubricated internally with a grease; once that grease is gone, the chain is toast. We clean our chains to fight surface corrosion and to get teh grit out before it cuts the "O" rings. Diesel, K-1, and WD40 will all clean well, but for me, teh WD is way less offensive of odor. After the WD "dries", I apply chainsaw bar oil becasue it sticks so well and again last long enough to "lift" gritty dirt out of the chain.

prs

Just because it works, isn't expensive and has no harmful effects doesn't mean it shouldn't be used either. I've had nothing but success using it as I'm sure so have many thousands of others who choose to use it. Twenty thousand miles on the original chain and lots of life still in it using nothing but WD-40 for the last 15K or so must mean something. No?

I carry one can of lubricant/cleaner with me and that's WD-40. It has many, many more uses other than just chain maintenance. Have you ever tried to dry out an ignition switch with chain lube?

Wow.

I remember getting a new but rusty plain roller chain back in service by putting it in an old pan of used motor oil (Valvoline TurboV that my friend put about 2000 miles on.) and leaving it overnight on a hot-plate set on low on the patio. (guy I knew bought a brand new chain then left his bike outside all winter.) I am probably lucky I didn't burn the whole apartment complex down. But it did free up a chain that fit the sprockets properly. Cost? one master link and the electricity used.

But WD40? I am not concerned about it damaging the o-rings. I believe it would just fling right past them and off though.

If I don't have proper chain lube, I will use aerosol white lithium grease. Leave it overnight and wipe off the excess. Stays in place fairly well and seems to work.

Speaking of lubing chains. Where exactly do you concentrate the spray to?

In the past I've always sprayed all four sides of the chain. This just seems wasteful.

As for WD40, I've heard it just cleans the grease from the O rings. But wouldn't kerosene or any other cleaner do that? Also, there isn't much grease there to begin with. I have a rivet-type master link (still sealed) beside me and it is coated with white grease. There is no place for a 'pocket' of grease anywhere.

WD40 for cleaning and Maxma chain wax for my street bikes. I spray it on heavy and wipe off the excess with an old towel. The chain wax goes on with a carrier that evaps and a parafine wax base sets up on the chain. It's the only product I have found that really resists fling off. I work at a bike dealer and get to try them all, I can't find better for my sport bikes.
WD40 I use on my dirt bikes when I clean after a ride and put it away. Prevents rust and feeds X-rings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back