Space exploration, colonization

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was inspired by the NASA discussion, but goes beyyond it and off topic, so I decided to start another thread on it. Looking forward to this discussion, personally.

If the human race is to survive beyond the life of our planet, and sun... We must move out to other planets. I am of the opinion that earth will soon be entering the final stages as a garden world. As the sun ages, it will expand, and grow hotter, cooking the earth. We must move out. Here are the technologies we REALLY need to start advancing, and investing in. I will say that my basic understanding comes from basic reading, and a game that it turns out the writers really did their research on.

1. Faster-than-light Communications. Voyager 2 is only 22 billion kilometers from earth... That is 12.8hour one way trip for radio signal. If we for example explore that Gleise 581g that is 20 light years away.... Even if we could get there, which would take us at least 80-100 years by conventional means, any form of communication with earth would take 40 years round trip with traditional radio signals. This is clearly not sufficient.

A few games have featured it, and I've done a little reading (not much, because I don't understand much about quantum physics) but there is what is called a Quantum entanglement communications. My understanding at the most basic level is that you have two sub-atomic particles in an entangled state (Yes, mass effect 2 really provided the best explanation). When the state of one is changed, the other changes to the opposite. No matter the distance between them. This would allow the transfer of data of one quantum bit at a time. This is not a high bandwith system. If anyone is familiar with the book "enders game" the Ansible is essentially one of these.

2. Faster than light travel, or at least close to it. Something like in Mass Effect games would be ideal, the ability to relay mass instantaneously across thousands of light years. Of course that is pure fiction, but from my limited understanding, the concept behind it is sound. If you can lower the mass of an object low enough, you can accelerate it to and beyond the speed of light.

3. Terraforming- This will likely need to take all kinds of forms. To terraforming mars into a nitrogen-oxygen mix atmosphered, to producing meaningful quantities of water. other planets might already have some form of useful environment in place, and would require little change.

Now, again my understanding is very limited and I could be wrong on most everything, but I don't think I am... My point is that we as a species need to start combining resources. Not just for our survival in the long run, but to help with overcrowding for example.

Er, my math is very very off. It would be a lot longer than a century. More like tends o thousands of years. *facepalm* I thought something seemed off.

Mars is pretty cold, yes. Average surface temp is ~-63 celsius, and max is about 20 celsius. The atmopshere is also very low pressure, and mostly CO2. Even at -63 celsius the pressure is so low that our blood would boil the instant we stepped out of a pressurized environment. The surface temperature would rise to a less hostile one if we could create a true atmosphere, which would use the greenhouse effect in a positive way.

This is all assuming that we as humans are able to travel beyond the Van Allen belts, and cope with the massive solar radiation that those belts protect us from.....

...and yes you can read into that what you will.

Two things must happen first...we'll have to figure out how we can survive and replinish our supplies while traveling and we'll need gobs of fuel. Faster than the speed of light is not possible and I don't think it will ever be possible. Even if it did, there's no way a human can sustain the G forces. This ain't Star Trek.

Originally Posted By: Nick R
If the human race is to survive beyond the life of our planet, and sun... We must move out to other planets. I am of the opinion that earth will soon be entering the final stages as a garden world.

Possibly.

As the sun ages, it will expand, and grow hotter, cooking the earth.

Not for millions of years.

1. Faster-than-light Communications.

2. Faster than light travel, or at least close to it.

Faster-than-light anything is still a pipe dream. The ideas you mentioned are among many pure hypotheticals that no one knows how to develop yet. The reason they have been featured in so much science fiction is that most people don't know enough about them to understand why they are impossible.
wink.gif
I wouldn't bet on anything coming to fruition in this department any time soon.

Something like in Mass Effect games would be ideal, the ability to relay mass instantaneously across thousands of light years. Of course that is pure fiction, but from my limited understanding, the concept behind it is sound. If you can lower the mass of an object low enough, you can accelerate it to and beyond the speed of light.

Lowering the mass of an object would by definition involve destroying the object. And even if you could do it, even lowering it near zero wouldn't be enough. You would have to make it negative.

3. Terraforming- This will likely need to take all kinds of forms. To terraforming mars into a nitrogen-oxygen mix atmosphered, to producing meaningful quantities of water. other planets might already have some form of useful environment in place, and would require little change.

Now we're talking. There has been good progress in this area, and it is very likely to come to fruition.

My point is that we as a species need to start combining resources. Not just for our survival in the long run, but to help with overcrowding for example.

This is the real problem.

Science education is hideously undervalued, environmental sustainability has become synonymous with political ideologies, and so many people are wrapped up in superstition and petty "us/them" squabbles. Until those things change, it will be very hard to move forward in a meaningful way.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d

Science education is hideously undervalued, environmental sustainability has become synonymous with political ideologies, and so many people are wrapped up in superstition and petty "us/them" squabbles. Until those things change, it will be very hard to move forward in a meaningful way.

QFT

The cop out, if a technology like faster-than-light travel existed, there would be faster-than-light surveying to go with it, so one could map where they wanted to go.

Therefore, an alien race that survived our atmosphere, temperature, etc would know about us before we knew about them. They'd find us first. We would do well to befriend them.

I think rather trying to send our mortal bodies in the space, we should concentrate sending our eternal souls in the space. There are lots of advantage. I will list few. Please add to them.

1) Since soul has no mass, it can travel faster than light
2) Soul does not need conventional fuel to keep it humming
3) Communication among soul community is so advanced that we do not even understand it
4) ...

Of course there are some minor disadvantages such as you have to give up your mortal body first before transforming in to eternal soul. But I am sure people like Nick who are worried about the end of the earth are smarter and courageous than us mortals and would have no objection to turning themselves in to eternal souls.

I hope that was helpful.

- Vikas

Originally Posted By: Vikas
I think rather trying to send our mortal bodies in the space, we should concentrate sending our eternal souls in the space.

That would be a great idea if we could prove that souls can move independently of our bodies in the first place. That doesn't seem to be the case. As of now, what we call a "soul" appears to be an emergent property of our physical bodies (mostly our brains) and their interactions with the world. As such, it is not a discrete entity that can move on its own.

When they can build a Gundam, then we can inhabit other planets. Till then I don't think I'd want to.
6798-3d_gundam.jpg

Er, my math is very very off.

Not only math.. I recall you were moving to Australia. That was a good intraplanetary start. Human race still has quite some time before the Sun becomes a red giant star. Besides, human race will not survive Universe. You could read some Stephen Hawking. Very easy read that may give you a good perspective on where we stand.

Hence the need for Gundam's/Bi-pedal hulking masses of robotic destruction. Need some type of defense, and I doubt our archaic/backwards military technology is capable of anything we may encounter in the great unknown.

Originally Posted By: Anies
Hence the need for Gundam's/Bi-pedal hulking masses of robotic destruction. Need some type of defense, and I doubt our archaic/backwards military technology is capable of anything we may encounter in the great unknown.

54.gif

No evidence of life there yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back