Dexron III vs Dexron VI compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.
On my car I am specifically warned to use Dexron III in the manual transmission and specifically warned not to use Dexron VI.

Out of curiosity, why is this? What will my options be as Dex 3 is phased out entirely?

Originally Posted By: cchase
On my car I am specifically warned to use Dexron III in the manual transmission and specifically warned not to use Dexron VI.

Out of curiosity, why is this? What will my options be as Dex 3 is phased out entirely?

I've heard the same thing and I forget the answer...

I don't know if Dex III or Dex/Merc will be phased out any time soon. You can still get type F which is much older spec. I think the Dex III not being backspeced is only applicable to manual transmissions and I think this is because of viscosity. One thing that some fluid makers are doing is marketing Dex III as a MT type fluid.

Am I correct to think that transmission fluids that claim to be Dex 3 and 6 compatible likely would not be good for a transmission which specifically excludes the use of 6?

Excellent article. This is what stands out to me.

Quote:

TIP: Any vehicle that previously used DEXRON-III for a manual transmission or transfer case should now use p/n 88861800 (88861801 in Canada) Manual Transmission and Transfer Case Fluid. And power steering systems should now use p/n 89020661 (89021183 in Canada) Power Steering Fluid.

Quote:

All licenses for DEXRON-III expired at the end of 2006 and will not be renewed. Fluids sold in the market after that date bearing claims such as "suitable for use in DEXRON-III applications" or similar wording should be avoided, because 'DEXRON-III' fluids are no longer checked and policed by GM and therefore may not be the originally tested and approved formulation.

There will be DexIII type oil around for a long time. The visc is thinner on the DexVI . I am pondering the ATF+4 for manual trannies there is a post with a link to a review of the oil .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back