Synthetic oil and 5.0 coyote engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
1st post here. 2 questions. 1. is there a large difference between 5w20 semi-synthetic and 5w50 full synthetic? 2. What about the 5.0 would cause engine ticking (actually sounds like noise made when engine/exhaust cooling off after engine shut down) noise after synthetic put in?
5w20 and 5w50 synthetic used in two different engines both causing intermittent noise after synthetic put in.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
5W50 is way too thick for the variable cam setup. Step down to a 5W30 max. Ill bet the noise will go away.

The noise is also present with 5w20 synthetic too. 5w20 semi-synthetic produces no noise.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
5W50 is way too thick for the variable cam setup. Step down to a 5W30 max. Ill bet the noise will go away.

The variable cam timing on the Coyote works totally differently from the 3V. The oil doesnt so anything but lock the gear. It advances and retards using torque from the valve train itself. It should be much less sensitive to oil viscosity.

Originally Posted By: FORDMOPAR70
5w50 may well be what these engines end up with. But why would an oil that exceeds mfg specs produce noise?

I would start by getting in touch with FRPP and see if you can make contact with soemone in the Boss 302R and R1 program. Find out what they are running in the Grand Am Cars as to Oil, Oil Cooler and Sump Temps. That will help you get your setup in the ballpark.

Originally Posted By: racin4ds
5w50 is being spec'd for many of the new Ford Hi po motors, it is NOT too thick.

The "Coyote" is a totally different engine from the Ford GT or GT500 engines. What is recommended for the GT500 doesnt relate.

Originally Posted By: racin4ds
5w50 is being spec'd for many of the new Ford Hi po motors, it is NOT too thick.

There's not enough info out there yet, IMO, to make that determination.

I would think the CTA cam phasers would be more tolerant to a thicker oil, since they don't operate off of oil pressure like the 3V phasers but rather torsional cam torque. AFAIK, the CTA phasers are only using oil as lubrication.

Seeing as how this was a thoroughly re-engineered engine, I would be wary of stepping too far outside of the manufacturer 5W-20 spec until more information (clearances) is known.

If you're spending that money on Motorcraft 5W-50, I would look into Red Line 5W-20/5W-30 or Amsoil Dominator 5W-20. Both are very robust oils that are much more in line with the 5.0L's recommended viscosity but with much greater HTHS viscosity than Motorcraft (or any SM/GF-4) 5W-20, more than enough cushion to protect that 5.0L in marginal conditions since you seem like you are looking for max protection.

i have a new 3.7 and I'm going to run 5w20 on the first few changes and I'm sure we'll hear more info about other weights as time goes on. There might even be some info out on the 3.7 by now since it's a version of an engine lincoln and mazda have been running.

An update here..... about 4000 miles ago I switched to Pennzoil 5w30 fully synthetic oil and the engine noise I was experiencing went away. I would be curious to know what the Pennzoil has that the MC does not. Others are running 5w20 fully synthetic and have the noise 5w50 produces some noise but others not. Another Mustang owner switched from 5w20 MC to 5w30 Pennz fully synthetic and his noise went away too. Any ideas?

An update here..... about 4000 miles ago I switched to Pennzoil 5w30 fully synthetic oil and the engine noise I was experiencing went away. I would be curious to know what the Pennzoil has that the MC does not.

Which Pennzoil?

noise does occur with 5w20 motorcraft synthetic. Mustang owners have reported engineering is adding 'carbon black' or graphite to the crankcase to "change viscosity" and some are being told the additive is for break-in. On other engines, a portion of the oil is drained from the crankcase and 75w140 oil is added or a change to 5w50 MC synthetic is recommended. As for the type of Pennz, Platinum full synthetic 5w30 is what I am using.

noise does occur with 5w20 motorcraft synthetic. Mustang owners have reported engineering is adding 'carbon black' or graphite to the crankcase to "change viscosity" and some are being told the additive is for break-in. On other engines, a portion of the oil is drained from the crankcase and 75w140 oil is added or a change to 5w50 MC synthetic is recommended. As for the type of Pennz, Platinum full synthetic 5w30 is what I am using.

Sorry to be rude, but that is the biggest pile of garbage I've read on here in a while.

Graphite additive, maybe.....but adding gear oil to a crankcase? No 'engineer' would do this!

Good choice on the PP 5W-30, but seriously, stop taking advioce from idiots who obviously know nothing or are spreading dumb rumours.

Seriously. Take my word for it, IT IS happening. Although I cannot get any solid answers from engineering they are putting it in. We had a couple of mustangs roll through here with the noise and we were told to change to 5w50. I have confirmation of the additives but none have been added at this location. Now only a quart or two of rear end fluid is being added, not a complete change.

Seriously. Take my word for it, IT IS happening. Although I cannot get any solid answers from engineering they are putting it in. We had a couple of mustangs roll through here with the noise and we were told to change to 5w50. I have confirmation of the additives but none have been added at this location. Now only a quart or two of rear end fluid is being added, not a complete change.

And exactly how do you know this? I find it really hard to believe that Ford engineers are adding gear oil to the crank case of the new Coyote engine in a $30k+ car!! Do you work for ford? where are you getting this info?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back