Bosch Distance Plus cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: daman
Still cant find that survey ...

Looks like the Distance Plus survey is gone now on the page I had originally linked to earlier.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: daman
Still cant find that survey ...

Looks like the Distance Plus survey is gone now on the page I had originally linked to earlier.

Yes. I took the survey and asked them to lower price in my comments. The next day, the survey was gone.

When I finally looked at the Bosch D3500, I noticed the inlet holes for the oil are oblong like those on the MC FL1a filter. The Pure One and Bosch Premium holes are round. Not a big deal - just an observation of details.

Originally Posted By: AuthorEditor
Quote:
Any innovation, invention, adaptation, whatever ..has to "carry itself" and then some to make sense.

I agree, but I think there are some benefits to synthetics and better filters that you get whatever your OCI usage. For example, cold flow characteristics. In the middle of winter I notice a big difference when the car has soaked overnight in 20-below weather. OK, sure it will eventually crank over with dino in there, but I wonder how much wear and tear that puts on the starter motor? I have routinely found that starter motors last about 120,000 miles and then kaput. Avoiding one middle of the winter non start with a tow would pay for a lot of synthetic oil. Same with silicone ADBVs on filters. More flexible in the cold means less noise and wear and tear on start up. Maybe there is no quantifiable gain in engine longevity, but it sure takes time off my life to hear the engine making noises on start up.

This goes to intrinsic qualities and attempts to put a price tag on them; which usually fails. Value judgments are very personal and very subjective, as such, they are hard to play a numbers game with. Example:

I avoid the direct route to work and take the longer highway route instead. I do this after having a couple close calls in the stop and go, and sometimes congested, direct route that didn't really lend well to beginning my shift with the right frame of mind.

So instead I go the longer route and wind up going in much more relaxed, having had to deal with no lights, no congestion, and no close calls (and I prefer highway over stop and go city).

Even though I get better mileage on the highway, it still costs an extra 5 to 10 minutes of time and likely a bit more fuel for the distance involved. Though highway miles being easier on the car (brakes, etc), a total economic view would cut the added expense some. But it still costs a bit more. I gladly spend it as the extra fuel cost is a paltry sum weighed against the earnings from the shift and the more relaxed it begins when I haven't had to battle traffic to get there.

Perhaps a cheaper filter would perform satisfactorily to the 10k interval its used for. But the difference in price isn't worth it when there is no 'perhaps' with my filter choice, and I simply put it on and forget about it. That is something that is hard to quantify, but the difference in price makes this added value negligible.

If only other issues were as easily resolved as spending an extra few bucks, over perhaps a 1 year interval, to resolve. Life would be much less stressful.

-Spyder

Quote:
If only other issues were as easily resolved as spending an extra few bucks, over perhaps a 1 year interval, to resolve. Life would be much less stressful.

Exactly! Each person's life and car scenario is unique and maybe warrants different considerations. For example, I do not have a garage and must change my oil outside, weather permitting. I drive a fair bit so it is necessary to change the oil several times in several cars over the winter. We have long periods here in the winter due to snow/ice/cold/etc. when it would be very difficult to get the car up on ramps, get under it, and change the oil. Using a higher quality filter and oil gives me the peace of mind that if I need to I can extend my OCI by 1000 miles or more until a break in the weather or my schedule.

Yeah, it's basically a PureOne with thicker media and canister. Heavy steel center tube. Filters about as well as P-1 but tougher for long OCIs.

I'm running one now too, along with Amsoil 5W-30. I'll probably run it a year and cut it open.

I'll stick to Purolator Pure 1's for 7 bucks, no way will I pay 13 bucks for an oil filter, besides, my oci is only 7000 miles on M1.

For all practical purposes, what you are doing is probably the better buy.
I wanted to try a D+ though for giggles.

Originally Posted By: subiedriver
I'll stick to Purolator Pure 1's for 7 bucks, no way will I pay 13 bucks for an oil filter, besides, my oci is only 7000 miles on M1.

Yeah, that's a good combo for that OCI.
thumbsup2.gif

You don't have to cut open, for part #D3324 canister style oil filter. Fits 2009 Malibu 2.4, I compared to the Mobil EP filter(part#M1C-151)- have pic But don't know how to post pics. The DistancePlus is almost white in color, Mobil is a medium yellow, and WIX/NAPA Gold (part#57082) and AC Delco(part#PF458G) are closer to a light brown. My opinion is the DistancePlus filtering media is very close or possibly the same as whats in the Amsoil Ea filters.

Thanks for the pics Ronald. The o ring on the Mobil 1 filter is really small. Where are these two filters made?

69698_1484604358968_1349668153_30998877_5078542_n.jpg

Just got home from work and went to see. The Mobil 1 EP has made in Balgaria stamped on it, and the Bosch DistancePlus has made in the USA stamped on it.

Wow! Bulgaria? That's were the cheap Fram and STP Ecotec filters are made. I wouldn't pay $16.00 for that Mobil 1 filter.

Was the Distance Plus $13.00 +?

At Advance Auto Parts the Mobil 1 is $19.99 and they carry at store where I live. The Distance Plus is $13.49 but have to order. Yah I agree after seeing the DistancePlus I will be ordering from now on. I have not used the DistancePlus yet but soon, but I still prefer the Mobil over the AC Deco,fram, and Napa Gold/WIX do to the below 20F here in New York winters. Because of the Synthetic blend fibers in the Mobil 1 it elimanated all cold start ticking(called GM and they told me that is the nature of the beast,normal), with the others I would get the ticking for the first 3 minutes until warm. This is with using Castrol Edge 5w-30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back